Coopers Community

Info Reqd add IBU after Ferment

Brett Glover

Hi all, I am relatively new to home brewing and feel I have made a stuff up with the current Beer I have Fermenting. I started with a Mexican Cerveza and added 1kg of BE2 and 500g of LDM. I have then had a brain fart and added 1kg of Dex. OG 1060. Using a tea spoon of DAP and US05 Yeast.

Now tonight I have found a spreadsheet that allows you to poulate and determine nature of the beer. Using this I can clearly see that I need IBUs added. Trouble is I am away at work for another 6 days.

Have read about isomorised Hop Extract? and possibly collecting some wort and boiling that and adding hops. then cool and blend back into Wort?

Any advice appreciated, or info on where I can purchase iso hops for Bittering in SA.

Its a learning curve

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Brett Glover said:

Hi all, I am relatively new to home brewing and feel I have made a stuff up with the current Beer I have Fermenting. I started with a Mexican Cerveza and added 1kg of BE2 and 500g of LDM. I have then had a brain fart and added 1kg of Dex. OG 1060. Using a tea spoon of DAP and US05 Yeast.

Now tonight I have found a spreadsheet that allows you to poulate and determine nature of the beer. Using this I can clearly see that I need IBUs added. Trouble is I am away at work for another 6 days.

Have read about isomorised Hop Extract? and possibly collecting some wort and boiling that and adding hops. then cool and blend back into Wort?

Any advice appreciated, or info on where I can purchase iso hops for Bittering in SA.

Its a learning curve

I have never done it, but you could decant off 3-4 litres of the partly fermenter wort.  Put it in a pot and bring to the boil.  Add say 25g of Galaxy or other higher alpha acid hops.  Boil for 10 minutes.  This should give you around 10 extra IBU's, and a BU:GU ratio similar to what you would have had before adding the extra 1kg of Dextrose.  As you note, get it cool and then blend it back into the brew.

• Like 8

I've made a lot of muck ups, forgetting to put something in or using the wrong ingredient.

Rather than try and fix it, I've just bottled it and when ready.. Drink it.

If it's real bad, Add a bit of Stout!

It's still beer.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I've made a lot of muck ups, forgetting to put something in or using the wrong ingredient.

Rather than try and fix it, I've just bottled it and when ready.. Drink it.

If it's real bad, Add a bit of Stout!

It's still beer.

Yeah, personally I'd bottle it as is. Not worry too much about it.

But I'd probably chuck some hops in there, or make a hop tea when bottling.

I usually use Citra with the Cerveza.

• Like 4

Just my personal experience, I've found Coopers cans to be very well bittered. And adding more IBU's can ruin a good brew. Ive stuffed a partial mash or two by extra bittering a Coopers Lager can. 

Adding that extra dext isn't going to add residual sweetness, its probably going to ferment down a tad dry, so I wouldn't go to any extra effort to think of bitterness after you've already kicked her off.

• Like 4

My concern is based on where the red dot finished on the beer scale. I am more of a Balanced beer drinker. Guess I did not have access to this info before I went Rogue on the Fermentables lol. Thx for the advice, I reckon I will ride this one out as is and learn from it, or suprise myself and enjoy it.

16798524952874215408638992946605.jpg

• Like 4

Well, I got back home and dropped 15g Citra into FV and cold crashed for 3 days. Kegged and force carbonated and I was pleasantly surprised. It's def not something I will try again, but quite drinkable. Care must be taken due to 7+ ABV. Thx all for advice.

• Like 5