Coopers Community

COOPERS LONGNECKS - NEW BOTTLE SIZE

Classic Brewing Co

I was comparing the difference with the new look Coopers Longneck 750ml bottle size.

At first you don't really notice but with the difference in size, it makes you look at the back to see if they have been reduced to 700ml which is rampant everywhere these days, however we are still good keeping in line with the Stubby size of 375ml.

There is almost 2ml difference in the height & the slight change in shape has allowed the same volume.

For those who bottle it would be a bonus, less weight, less space needed for storing but I can't help wondering if there is going to be a sneaky box packaging size - maybe 20 or 16 bottles? 

I have always admired the Coopers brand for maintaining the traditional sizing - 375/750ml & 6 packs.

These days you pick up a 4 pack of something pathetic like 355ml or 330ml & you still pay a premium for them.

20230320_081730.thumb.jpg.9f97a6a5e1d41a57ec0cb5873a9ae9e4.jpg

20230320_081802.thumb.jpg.42b9f79f90c337fa111ac78507fbc884.jpg

• Like 2

I bought a couple from the local a few weeks ago and noticed the change in size immediately (although I hadn't bought a long neck in quite some time). My first question to the attendant was "are they 700ml now?"

I did a bit of research on the forum yesterday and found a post from Frank@CoopersDIY (?) discussing the the new bottles and box/pallet packaging (from Oct 2022, IIRC). He did mention that they are no longer recommended for home brewing (cripticaly) "at least not in the long term."

I weighed some bottles last week. The new Coopers bottles come in at around 0.54g/ml.  Going by some else's weighing of the old Coopers bottles I found somewhere in the forum the come in at over 0.65g/ml.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cheap Charlie said:

The change in bottle size put me off buying any more. I have around 150 of the old ones and now have kegs, so that is enough methinks :DD 

I guess that makes me a little OCD 

I noticed you use the Hollandia botlles, all good with those?

They are excellent 660ml although being green they are best boxed out of the light.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kegory said:

I bought a couple from the local a few weeks ago and noticed the change in size immediately (although I hadn't bought a long neck in quite some time). My first question to the attendant was "are they 700ml now?"

I did a bit of research on the forum yesterday and found a post from Frank@CoopersDIY (?) discussing the the new bottles and box/pallet packaging (from Oct 2022, IIRC). He did mention that they are no longer recommended for home brewing (cripticaly) "at least not in the long term."

I weighed some bottles last week. The new Coopers bottles come in at around 0.54g/ml.  Going by some else's weighing of the old Coopers bottles I found somewhere in the forum the come in at over 0.65g/ml.

Yes, when you compare them side by side, they are considerably lighter, however I can't comment on their re-filling capability as I haven't bottled with them so far.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

For those who bottle it would be a bonus, less weight, less space needed for storing but I can't help wondering if there is going to be a sneaky box packaging size - maybe 20 or 16 bottles? 

I think that it is worthwhile re-stating this, Coopers have said that the new long necks are unsuitable for bottling home brew due to their light construction. I know it has been already mentioned, but I would hate to see someone new come on here and think that they were OK for bottling. The light construction of these bottles increases the possibility of exploding glass bottles, and that can be very dangerous.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I think that it is worthwhile re-stating this, Coopers have said that the new long necks are unsuitable for bottling home brew due to their light construction. I know it has been already mentioned, but I would hate to see someone new come on here and think that they were OK for bottling. The light construction of these bottles increases the possibility of exploding glass bottles, and that can be very dangerous.

Yes, mate I already read Franks comments on the new bottles. 

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

IMO if your home brew produces normal pressure in the bottles it will be fine. The safety margins will however been reduced. 

Yeah, I think experienced home brewers wouldn't face too much additional risk but the risk for newbies would be considerably greater.

• Like 1