Coopers Community

Norse Pale Ale - February 2023 Recipe of the Month

• 2 weeks later...

I put this one down on Friday. The only change I made is I used 1.5kg of dry malt and made it up to 22L.

Seems weird fermenting at 35° though. It's already down down to 1.018 this morning so I added the dry hop.

The warm sample tasted surprisingly good so I'm looking forward to this one.

Anyone else brewed this one?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Chris75 said:

I put this one down on Friday. The only change I made is I used 1.5kg of dry malt and made it up to 22L.

Seems weird fermenting at 35° though. It's already down down to 1.018 this morning so I added the dry hop.

The warm sample tasted surprisingly good so I'm looking forward to this one.

Anyone else brewed this one?

I will source the ingredients separately & give it a go, really looks good.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

Bottled today, skipped the Riwaka in the dry hop. Og 1046, Fg 1011. Should be around ABV 5.3%. Got 37 pint bottles, half with one carbonation drop, half with a measuring spoon of white sugar. Curious about the difference. It smelled amazing.

You should notice a distinct difference with plain white sugar, I have been using it for years & it is far better than carb drops. I only bottle what doesn't go in kegs these days but always white sugar for me.

BTW I notice the BrewZilla in the box, when is that coming out?

13 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You should notice a distinct difference with plain white sugar, I have been using it for years & it is far better than carb drops. I only bottle what doesn't go in kegs these days but always white sugar for me.

BTW I notice the BrewZilla in the box, when is that coming out?

Still have the ROTM Summer Sesh Ale to brew and I am still working on some All grain brewing logistics. Need to get a dolly, a tap for my food safe water hose and a safe step to pull out the mash tun, probably the IKEA step.(we have one in the kitchen but I like to have my own). Also my son finally graduated and will move to SA for a job which will give me more space in the garage (my Brauhaus). 
In regards of the sugars I am also curious about carbonation level, as the amount (weight) of sugar differs. All my English Ales I primed with one drop as they are much nicer with lower carbonation 

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz
  • Like 2

I've just brewed the Norse ale according to the kit recipe as this "white lightning" Kveik Ale Yeast and its high wort temperature is all new to me.

My OG was 1.040 @ 40 degrees - which is around 1.045 corrected. I thought it would have been higher. The final SG is predicted to be in the 1.009 - 1.013 range. Would this be the corrected reading?

The reason I ask is that I read the fermentation can be really fast, and that leaving it too long to bottle may mean an absence of active yeast for the secondary fermentation.

I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone with experience of Kveik strains.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, guzzlerg said:

I've just brewed the Norse ale according to the kit recipe as this "white lightning" Kveik Ale Yeast and its high wort temperature is all new to me.

My OG was 1.040 @ 40 degrees - which is around 1.045 corrected. I thought it would have been higher. The final SG is predicted to be in the 1.009 - 1.013 range. Would this be the corrected reading?

The reason I ask is that I read the fermentation can be really fast, and that leaving it too long to bottle may mean an absence of active yeast for the secondary fermentation.

I'd be grateful for any advice from anyone with experience of Kveik strains.

I think you have made this brew up to the usual 23 litres, but it is meant to be 21 litres.  Hence your OG being 1.045 instead of about 1.049.

23 Litre recipe

image.png.da8f68a225fe41da753578929b84885b.png

21 Litre recipe

image.png.43416127a13b8dc28dd13cfae1e40f70.png

• Like 3

16 hours ago, guzzlerg said:

I made the brew 21 litres as required and adjusted the actual 1.040 OG. Maybe I'll check my hydrometer at 20 degrees.

It's bubbling away nicely at 38 degrees after just four hours.

Just used Voss Kveik in a Coopers PA. Was done in 48 hours. I was patient and waited to cold crash after 72 hours. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just tried a very green stubby of this tonight. Only 4 days in the bottle. Wow, already carbed well and tastes fantastic. I just hope the hope the hop flavour lasts. It will be interesting to see how it is in a few weeks.

• Like 4