Coopers Community

expired ingredients

EWildcat7

Hi gang.  I have some Coopers products that I brought with me to the US when I moved here 2 1/2 years ago.   Some of them are past their expiration date, so I wanted to check with the knowledge here to see if I can still use them.  Coopers products are VERY expensive in the States, so I am hoping that I don't have to re-buy them.

yeast

Coopers Canadian Blonde   packaged 8 Jan 2020
   Coopers Mexican Cerveza   packaged 16 Jan 2020

extract
   Coopers Canadian Blonde   expiration 13 Feb 2022
   Coopers Mexican Cerveza   expiration 25 Feb 2022
   Mr. Beer Golden Ale              expiration 6 Sep 2022   

Thanks in advance!!!
  • Like 1

I'd use all those extracts and buy new yeast to be on the safe side.

If it were me I'd buy some lagery type yeast. Brew the Cerveza and then use the same yeast for the Blonde.

Although I once brewed an out of date Lager / light coloured beer and it came out a bit dark.

Didn't taste too bad, but the colour was a bit off putting.

Edited by Graculus

edit/update to the above:

I just looked at the recipes for the beers that I want to make and only one of them calls for the brew can yeast.  So, I think the only real question is whether the extracts can still be used when they are almost a year beyond their expiration date.

12 minutes ago, EWildcat7 said:

edit/update to the above:

I just looked at the recipes for the beers that I want to make and only one of them calls for the brew can yeast.  So, I think the only real question is whether the extracts can still be used when they are almost a year beyond their expiration date.

As @Graculus says the cans of extract would be useable but will come out darker, personally I wouldn't use them, but you swill still make beer.  Chuck the yeast.

1 hour ago, EWildcat7 said:

Hi gang.  I have some Coopers products that I brought with me to the US when I moved here 2 1/2 years ago.   Some of them are past their expiration date, so I wanted to check with the knowledge here to see if I can still use them.  Coopers products are VERY expensive in the States, so I am hoping that I don't have to re-buy them.

yeast

Coopers Canadian Blonde   packaged 8 Jan 2020
   Coopers Mexican Cerveza   packaged 16 Jan 2020

extract
   Coopers Canadian Blonde   expiration 13 Feb 2022
   Coopers Mexican Cerveza   expiration 25 Feb 2022
   Mr. Beer Golden Ale              expiration 6 Sep 2022   

Thanks in advance!!!

Yeah, use the kits, they may end up a little darker than normal but other than that, should be ok. Just ditch the yeast. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

As @Graculus says the cans of extract would be useable but will come out darker, personally I wouldn't use them, but you swill still make beer.  Chuck the yeast.

If you do decide to use the yeast, bear in mind it will/could take longer to get going or not at all, there are many topics on this subject online, maybe you should check it out, there are ways to test it, but I would have some fresh yeast on hand just in case.

Best advice is to chuck it.

• Like 2