Coopers Community

New Lager strain which some are tipping will be better then diamond

ozdevil

Hey All

Lallamend  are bringing out a new  yeast strain called  novalager  

Main image

keglands  Kee Doery  has a had a good play and was talking to a bloke from lallamend about this yeast  in which you can find this chat

here 

NOVALAGER   Brewing Properties from Lallamend

In Lallemand’s Standard Conditions Wort at 12°C (53.6°F) LalBrew NovaLager™ yeast exhibits: Vigorous fermentation that can be completed in 6 days. 

High Attenuation and Medium Flocculation. 

Aroma and flavor are clean with low to medium ester, no sulfur. This strain is POF negative. 

The optimal temperature range for LalBrew NovaLager™ yeast when producing traditional styles is 10 – 20°C (50 – 68°F). 

Lag phase, total fermentation time, attenuation and flavor are dependent on pitch rate, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and nutritional quality of the wort. 

This yeast may come an Aussie favourite amongst the lager  and pilsner guys

i know kegland are expecting Stocks of the yeast in  mid December for those interested

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Lallemand have been a godsend to me OD. I rate all of their yeasts. The Diamond is a forgiving fantastic lager yeast. If Lally are upgrading on that I'm keen as too try. I'm really getting into my Pilsners/Lagers. Bring it on. I'm always up for something new.

• Like 2

Just in adding, I never had any luck with Fermentis Lager yeasts. May have been my brewing inexperience but always had that sickly toffee taste. 

My Lagers ( Pilsners ) are A1 now in clean and cracking with Lally. That also goes for all beers too. I'm a huge fan of their yeast.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

I've honestly found with 2 packs of diamond pitched at 12 or 13 degrees my beers are finishing in 6 days anyway. Obviously leave longer to clear and cold crash after d rest but still finish fast. This will still be interesting to try.

So do mine with the more or less equivalent amount of Wyeast 2278 (or any other lager yeast I've used) with similar pitching conditions. I'm waiting for 2001 to be available again at some point, it was my favourite lager yeast I've used. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

So do mine with the more or less equivalent amount of Wyeast 2278 (or any other lager yeast I've used) with similar pitching conditions. I'm waiting for 2001 to be available again at some point, it was my favourite lager yeast I've used. 

yeah it's really strange that even in first few Lagers there was no krausen for 2 or 3 days but then they would still finish in 6. If using slurry finished in 3 or 4 days.

I was often in such a panic and doing internet research, how I ended up on this site BTW. Then finished in 6 with fresh packets of yeast at cool temps. Blew my mind after being told by an old mate don't rase a lager temp for 10 to 14 days for d rest. If cold crashing almost a month in fermenter. But I'm sure the yeast has got better or we just slowly changed our thinking.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

yeah it's really strange that even in first few Lagers there was no krausen for 2 or 3 days but then they would still finish in 6. If using slurry finished in 3 or 4 days.

I was often in such a panic and doing internet research, how I ended up on this site BTW. Then finished in 6 with fresh packets of yeast at cool temps. Blew my mind after being told by an old mate don't rase a lager temp for 10 to 14 days for d rest. If cold crashing almost a month in fermenter. But I'm sure the yeast has got better or we just slowly changed our thinking.

Probably a bit of both. I usually raise mine in the last third of fermentation which is usually around the 5th or 6th day and it's usually finished a couple of days later, by raise I simply turn the controller up to 18 and let it rise by itself. The better information I found suggested it is best to raise it while the yeast are still active. Then just leave it a few more days before ramping down to lager temps across another few days and leave it for a couple of weeks. Still spends about a month in there but they taste great. They get even better the longer they sit on tap as well with the extra lagering in the keg. 

I'm not sure why the old idea was to leave it so long at fermentation temp. Maybe they didn't pitch enough yeast for the low temperature back then.  

• Like 2

@Otto Von Blotto you may be onto something there regarding the amount of yeast. Maby in the early days of Lagers they didn't understand and were learning about the amount. 

There are even a couple of coopers recepies that suggest 10 to 14 days. In saying that recepies and basic information that are intended for beginners who most likely bottle needs to convince people not to rush the process.

• Like 2

Yep, one of the secrets to a good lager is pitching a large amount of good healthy yeast.   When I do lagers I make, no matter what the yeast or how I am fermenting it,  a big starter.  So I  know the yeast is active and healthy.   One of the worst lagers I made was with  Wyeast 2001. I didn't make a stater and did not check the manufacture date. It took 3 of 4 days to start due to low viability and was terrible. The yeast had been under stress during the lag phase and had heap of off flavours.     The only time I now do old school temp regimes is when making a pilsner  and using Czech yeast.   There is something cathartic about taking your time when reproducing an authentic Czech Pilsner.  There is nowhere to hide and making a good one, while hard, is highly rewarding.  

• Like 5