Coopers Community

https://www.facebook.com/groups/homebrewnetwork - Things are different over there!

jennyss

I have recently joined a facebook group call homebrewnetwork. It is international, but most members live in the US.  The differences, products and trends are mind boggling. Hardly any primitive extract brewers like me. The equipment looks really different. There are 60,000 members. No categories like our Coopers Community, so harder to focus on your interest. It is quite nice and friendly with rules for rules for 'playing nicely' . I think this site is not sponsored by any product.

I also joined 'Kegland Homebrew Community Group'; but will pull out of this group as it is too keg and equipment focussed for me - not so much on process and recipes.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I have recently joined a facebook group call homebrewnetwork. It is international, but most members live in the US.  The differences, products and trends are mind boggling. Hardly any primitive extract brewers like me. The equipment looks really different. There are 60,000 members. No categories like our Coopers Community, so harder to focus on your interest. It is quite nice and friendly with rules for rules for 'playing nicely' . I think this site is not sponsored by any product.

I also joined 'Kegland Homebrew Community Group'; but will pull out of this group as it is too keg and equipment focussed for me - not so much on process and recipes.

Did you mean this one @jennyss  The Home Brew Network 

this is Gavin Ellicot (Gash Slugg) from Australia https://www.instagram.com/homebrewnetwork/

It is very informative & would be helpful to all brewers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Did you mean this one @jennyss  The Home Brew Network

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co, it is not that site; although that is a good one to know about too. To get to the US Home Brew Network enter the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/homebrewnetwork . It is a facebook group if people are ok with facebook. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co, it is not that site; although that is a good one to know about too. To get to the US Home Brew Network enter the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/homebrewnetwork . It is a facebook group if people are ok with facebook. 

Yes, I know of that one but wouldn't bother with it, I don't & won't do Facebook although I have a 'dodgy' A/C just so I can access certain things I want to.

I do have an Instagram A/C @ozhomebrewer1, there are a lot of brewers on there & a couple of mates & others post heaps of beer photos.

Cheers.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, I know of that one but wouldn't bother with it, I don't & won't do Facebook although I have a 'dodgy' A/C just so I can access certain things I want to.

I do have an Instagram A/C @ozhomebrewer1, there are a lot of brewers on there & a couple of mates & others post heaps of beer photos.

Cheers.

ozhomebrewer1

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jennyss said:

1. This site is Australian but also has us followers in it

The Site is Administered by GASh (Gavin Ellicott)

The home brew Network is great  facebook group from many across  Australia and around the world,  Mainly is  about all grain  but extract brewing  is also talked about .

I know Gash and i occionally have beers with him from time to time 

2.  cellar dwellars is another great facebook group  and also has a forum similiar to this one

the site is  owned  and ran by  Gash (Gavin Ellicot0

both thehomebrew network   and cellar dwellars are basicly the same

links to cellar dweller facebook group  and cellar dweller web forum

facebook =https://www.facebook.com/groups/1380679742187429

website = http://www.cellardweller.net/index.php/en/

3. Extract Brewing  facebook group

This site is pretty good for the extract brewers with helpful information  and probably better suited to you @jennyss if your looking at facebook groups
facebook = https://www.facebook.com/groups/2566038527044446?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=3247528512228774 

4. Simple Home brew

This face book  group is ran By  Pierre  from the yotube videos called simple home brewing
and is group open to all and sundry  and can talk and chat about anytype of brewing from extract to all grain  etc

this can be found here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/435992023949535

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been a member of countless  FB brewing pages over the last decade and most of them are crapolla.   I was very disappointed with the amount of incorrect information or at the least info written as a home brewing law which must be followed at all costs.  Things like never open the FV and do not touch the brew for 14 days and so on.   On many of the pages it seems that it is the inexperience brewer giving info to the non experienced brewer and many old homebrewing wives tales are spread.  These days the only page I sort of follow is David Heath's  because it is an international page where Americans are out numbered and in the main the info disseminated is correct.    I steer clear of US pages as the Yanks really annoy me as they have a delusion where the only people on the web are Americans and everyone uses F, Ibs, oz, gallons and quarts.    

Edited by Marty_G
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

1. This site is Australian but also has us followers in it

The Site is Administered by GASh (Gavin Ellicott)

The home brew Network is great  facebook group from many across  Australia and around the world,  Mainly is  about all grain  but extract brewing  is also talked about .

I know Gash and i occionally have beers with him from time to time 

2.  cellar dwellars is another great facebook group  and also has a forum similiar to this one

the site is  owned  and ran by  Gash (Gavin Ellicot0

both thehomebrew network   and cellar dwellars are basicly the same

links to cellar dweller facebook group  and cellar dweller web forum

facebook =https://www.facebook.com/groups/1380679742187429

website = http://www.cellardweller.net/index.php/en/

3. Extract Brewing  facebook group

This site is pretty good for the extract brewers with helpful information  and probably better suited to you @jennyss if your looking at facebook groups
facebook = https://www.facebook.com/groups/2566038527044446?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=3247528512228774 

4. Simple Home brew

This face book  group is ran By  Pierre  from the yotube videos called simple home brewing
and is group open to all and sundry  and can talk and chat about anytype of brewing from extract to all grain  etc

this can be found here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/435992023949535

cheers

Gash's easy-going style of video tutorials are both simple & informative, I find him head & shoulders above the rest & would recommend him to anyone.

He also sounds like a reasonable bloke too OD, so if you have met him you would know.

Obviously, David Heath, John Palmer & many others are well qualified on all aspects of brewing but for anyone just starting Gash seems to have it all covered.

Even his trialing of new products from Keg Land are interesting.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Gash's easy-going style of video tutorials are both simple & informative, I find him head & shoulders above the rest & would recommend him to anyone.

He also sounds like a reasonable bloke too OD, so if you have met him you would know.

Obviously, David Heath, John Palmer & many others are well qualified on all aspects of brewing but for anyone just starting Gash seems to have it all covered.

Even his trialing of new products from Keg Land are interesting.

Gash is exactly how ya said   phil,   he  is very knowledgeable and easy to chat with.

i am glad you find him  head and shoulders above the rest and  he is a  bit of  guru to many in Australia  in which he tries to make it very imple for his viewers not over complicate things

• Like 3

@Marty_G I know what you mean about yanks and their arrogance. They can often think they are the only ones in the world. 

In saying that the only home brew videos I have watched for years is Basic brewing.com a couple of yanks. 

James and Steve quote everything in both Imperial and Metric. Back in the early days it was just a whole bunch of Ales brewed with US-05. 

They now brew and taste test wide ranges of beers but only use yeast from Imperial the people who do the liquid yeast. They said somewhere they are sponsored by them so that's all they use now.

• Like 2

Hi @Classic Brewing Co, @ozdevil, @Marty_G and @Uhtred Of Beddanburg,

Thanks very much. Your comments and information about brewing information on the web are very interesting and useful.  I particularly laughed when I read Marty_G's comment, 'On many of the pages it seems that it is the inexperienced brewer giving info to the non experienced brewer and many old homebrewing wives tales are spread.' 

Edited by jennyss
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Thanks very much. Your comments and information about brewing information on the web are very interesting and useful.  I particularly laughed when I read Marty_G's comment, 'On many of the pages it seems that it is the inexperienced brewer giving info to the non experienced brewer and many old homebrewing wives tales are spread.' 

Cheers Jenny, there is a lot of mis-leading information on the Internet on all subjects & of course a lot of good information, it's just finding out who's who & trusting those who have the credentials & post genuine helpful material.

As you know this forum is a valuable source of information & sound, helpful advice is always offered backed by the Coopers Admin Team, so this is the place to be.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jennyss said:

Alot to be said about some info you get you learn who to listen to to  and you learn to pick the stuff your wanting info on.

Alot of them are just bandwagon brewers that if the popular guy brews a strange out there beer,  the bandwagon guys will follow.

You mentioned the kegland site on Facebook.  Yes it is equipment based but you can learn a hell of alot about there products but also pick up on things around to improve your brewery cheaply..

Kegland site on Facebook is highly administered by the owners and there staff and some of these guys will actually  help you out as well regarding there gear..

I know the guys on the kegland site have helped me and still do.  .

But I love the equipment side of things so the site appeals to me .but I understand  it's a bit mind boggling for a newbie brewer as most stuff is aimed at the all grain brewers and kegging fraternity.

Sometimes  it's just pick a few places you feel comfortable at and learn from those places.

But Gash as we have all said  look up homebrew network on YouTube  and look at his extract brewing videos and some of the equipment and stuff he used in the early days.

David Heath while his videos can be interesting he is predominantly an a.g brewer.  But still educational... 

Dr Hans  hmm  us interesting one  but is comical at times.

Now  this one naybe of interest is flora brewing.  She is pretty good and has some pretty  good videos specially in her early days in a small apartment  in Florida ithink she was from and how she utilised her space.

• Like 2

Not a fan of Gash.  Nothing wrong with the stuff he does per se but he needs to get to the point. No video on HB should be longer than about 6-7 minutes. If you cant get the message over in that time rethink your spiel.   The other really annoying thing is he use a year plug mike and when he taste tests you can hear every gulp he takes and him savouring it.  Just get my goat.   But, his info is informative  it is just not in a style that is for me.  Same goes for Little John Brewing.  He looks like he is sweating so much his next beer will kill him.   

Wow sounding like a real negative Nellie on this thread better go have a beer.  Sorry dudes. 

Edited by Marty_G
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Marty_G nothing wrong with not liking people's videos or them in general from doing them. I reckon I would be bad at doing them and everyone would hate them. I have to agree some are way too long and others would complain if too short. 

I can't stand the sound of some of the gaming videos my kids watch. They think they are the best things ever 🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty_G said:

Not a fan of Gash.  Nothing wrong with the stuff he does per se but he needs to get to the point. No video on HB should be longer than about 6-7 minutes. If you cant get the message over in that time rethink your spiel.   The other really annoying thing is he use a year plug mike and when he taste tests you can hear every gulp he takes and him savouring it.  Just get my goat.   But, his info is informative  it is just not in a style that is for me.  Same goes for Little John Brewing.  He looks like he is sweating so much his next beer will kill him.   

Wow sounding like a real negative Nellie on this thread better go have a beer.  Sorry dudes. 

i'm going to defend gash a bit here.. i do understand and see  your point.    he does suffer a illness and is very easily distracted and will shoot of briefly then come back to task at hand

but i understand  that your not a fan but he is informative and is pretty well  straight forward with his information evern though it can be stratched out in length

you wasn't sounding negative either   we all cant  like everyone

• Like 1