Coopers Community

FV Scratches

Oldbloke

I just picked up a Coopers FV very cheap. It will just be a spare. Along with a very good capper + some odds and sods.

But just noticed the inside of the FV has a few scratches.  I always use use bleach to sterilise. 

Is it likely to be a big deal/issue?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldbloke said:

I always use use bleach to sterilise. 

Is it likely to be a big deal/issue?

You should be fine.

I did replace two Coopers FV's after 2 years of use because I had badly scratched the bottoms of them over time.  I had a couple of not quite right batches from them.  I am really careful to not let the spoon touch the bottom of the FV now.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, oldbloke said:

The one I'm currently using must be 20 years old. Lol. Was my father's. Still makes good grog. 😉

I purchased a plastic FV around 1999 which I used for a while...then lost ineterest for quite some years.  When I eventually returned to brewing it was black and green with mould and slime!  I cleaned it up and subsequently used it regularly up until just a few years ago. I did actually have a run of bad batches with that FV though but I traced that to contamination in the tap.  Since that discovery I now always boil the taps prior to use.   Problem solved.   Sadly the lid later cracked and I couldn't get a replacement so out it went. 

While I did replace it with a new one I really needed two FV's so I picked up a secondhand FV - a "vintage" plastic one off some old dude (well, older than me anyway!) for $1.    I suspect the FV is also older than me!  😄   The bloke had used it for many years for making mead.  It was in a pretty grubby state, and not without fine scratches.  I cleaned it up though and have been using it regularly now for 4 - 5 years and haven't had a single bad batch out of it - so far! 

So, based on my anecdotal experience the commonly held belief that fine scratches in plastic FV's are a significant contamination risk hasn't actually proven to be the case for me.  🤓

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

I purchased a plastic FV around 1999 which I used for a while...then lost ineterest for quite some years.  When I eventually returned to brewing it was black and green with mould and slime!  I cleaned it up and subsequently used it regularly up until just a few years ago. I did actually have a run of bad batches with that FV though but I traced that to contamination in the tap.  Since that discovery I now always boil the taps prior to use.   Problem solved.   Sadly the lid later cracked and I couldn't get a replacement so out it went. 

While I did replace it with a new one I really needed two FV's so I picked up a secondhand FV - a "vintage" plastic one off some old dude (well, older than me anyway!) for $1.    I suspect the FV is also older than me!  😄   The bloke had used it for many years for making mead.  It was in a pretty grubby state, and not without fine scratches.  I cleaned it up though and have been using it regularly now for 4 - 5 years and haven't had a single bad batch out of it - so far! 

So, based on my anecdotal experience the commonly held belief that fine scratches in plastic FV's are a significant contamination risk hasn't actually proven to be the case for me.  🤓

I would agree with that, over the years I have had many fermenters, even chucked a few, really small scratches are almost impossible to avoid as careful as you are stirring ingredients.

Once it gets to the point that you would actually call it a scratch - then I would begin to worry.

I have only ever had one infection in all of my years of brewing, it was caused by a pinhole in the bottom of a brand-new fermenter, the brew started turning a funny colour & I kept noticing small drops of wort underneath the FV, eventually I got sick of cleaning it up & decided to investigate & remove the lid, the smell nearly knocked me over. There was also a thick coating of mucky stuff on top (below) it got chucked, I cleaned up the FV, took it back to the LBHS, got a refund - I kept the lid/tap etc & they just chucked the faulty drum in the skip.

I don't know why I kept this photo but maybe it will help someone sometime.

infection.thumb.jpg.81b3026aeb77958d1286f706dc312a71.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1