Coopers Community

Why is it called REAL ale?

Malter White

While doing some reading on the definition of DRAUGHT beer I came across the following in relation to ales: 

"In Britain, the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) was founded in 1971 to protect traditional—unpressurised—beer and brewing methods. The group devised the term real ale to differentiate between beer served from the cask and beer served under pressure. The term real ale has since been expanded to include bottle-conditioned beer."

So if you buy an ale on tap in a pub it's not real? Maybe it's UNREAL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

While doing some reading on the definition of DRAUGHT beer I came across the following in relation to ales: 

"In Britain, the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) was founded in 1971 to protect traditional—unpressurised—beer and brewing methods. The group devised the term real ale to differentiate between beer served from the cask and beer served under pressure. The term real ale has since been expanded to include bottle-conditioned beer."

Really 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, MUZZY said:

In the Coopers history book, there's a write up about this, and the campaign in England i think to get back to traditional beer.

Lagers and the like were taking over, and certain groups wanted to preserve history and bring back the old school, malty Ales that had been brewed for centuries. Thats my look at it, there's a lot more to it.

• Like 1