Coopers Community

Sparging....the late hops sock?

Why cant I find info on this? When I have a fat hops sock swollen with 200g of C hops, that's been in there a few days, at bottling time does anyone else experiment with a hot sparge of the hops sock?

I have and it seems to be like adding hops at flameout, some bittering and some flavour . It does seem to give you more bang for your buck. It seems like a waste to chuck it!

8 hours ago, BreweyMcHops said:

Why cant I find info on this? When I have a fat hops sock swollen with 200g of C hops, that's been in there a few days, at bottling time does anyone else experiment with a hot sparge of the hops sock?

I have and it seems to be like adding hops at flameout, some bittering and some flavour . It does seem to give you more bang for your buck. It seems like a waste to chuck it!

I really don't know but I am thinking spent hops would be very bitter & unpleasant if re-introduced back into the brew. It is something I have never heard of but I am sure there are hop pundits out there waiting to prove me wrong. I sprinkle mine into the garden rather than just chuck them, who knows I may wake up one morning & it could be all about Jack & the Hopstalk 🤭

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BreweyMcHops said:

Never heard of a practice like that. I simply squeeze the living hell out of the hop sock and be done with it. Quite frankly, I cannot imagine there being too much bitterness to be extracted. While you can apparently use dry hops for bittering, it requires a decent boil or at least a steep in hot wort/water. A "sparge" wouldn't be long enough to extract anything meaningful.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Never heard of a practice like that. I simply squeeze the living hell out of the hop sock and be done with it. Quite frankly, I cannot imagine there being too much bitterness to be extracted. While you can apparently use dry hops for bittering, it requires a decent boil or at least a steep in hot wort/water. A "sparge" wouldn't be long enough to extract anything meaningful.

I thought that too but if you have 200g of hops it turns out there is some noticable bitterness to be extracted with a sparge with boiling water and 10 min steep . It's about the flavours though I already have it bitteted by this point I'm actually trying not to add a whole lot more

26 minutes ago, BreweyMcHops said:

I thought that too but if you have 200g of hops it turns out there is some noticable bitterness to be extracted with a sparge with boiling water and 10 min steep . It's about the flavours though I already have it bitteted by this point I'm actually trying not to add a whole lot more

I have not done it.  But if it works for you, keep doin' it.  I do understand what you are saying.  The dry hops in a Chux cloth I pull out of a fermenter still smell so good.  There must be something more to extract from them.  So far I just do like Aussiekraut, and squeeze the ba-jimenies out of the Chux cloth to get whatever extra I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

So do you guys use sanitized gloves when squeezing out the hop juice? Or not bother?

The times I have done it I have sanitised a set of tongs by boiling in water for 10 to 15 minutes then used starsan then squeezed with the tongs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

So do you guys use sanitized gloves when squeezing out the hop juice? Or not bother?

I never used to. I only sprayed my hands with starsan but considering you will never get all the nasties out of the pores in your skin, I started using brewers gloves and sanitise them beforehand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1