Coopers Community

head difference in one brew problem isolated

Brucewr0

solved my problem of difference in head in the one brew.

as a few suggested it was the brew vat plus my tank water having bacteria in minute amunts.

does anyone have any idea whether this bottled water would be suitable as they are the only ones who deliver to my little town. they assure me its ok.

many thanks:

We are committed to providing our clients with the finest naturally sourced spring water available in Queensland. Freshest Spring Water is bottled at the source and uses a series of filtration and sterilisation methods to ensure that the water maintains its natural mineral content. This is in contrast with many of our competitors, who instead use reverse osmosis on municipality water, which removes many of the essential minerals before bottling. Here at Freshest Spring Water, we are passionate about providing the healthiest water possible. Our spring water contains trace elements of minerals such as calcium and magnesium, which are vital for overall health and wellbeing. It also has a slightly alkaline pH, helping to neutralise acidity in the body and reduce the amount of damage caused by free radicals. Our mineral-rich water helps to maintain strong teeth and bones and is a natural way to look after your body.
  • Like 1

Just chlorinate it yourself. I can check, but from memory a table spoon of white king (must be non- scented) will kill everything in 100 litres of water. Mix well and Wait abt 24hrs and all the chlorine will have evaporated and no bad chlorine taste left.. You can use domestos too, but I think the dose is different. 

P.S. where is your water coming from?

Edited by oldbloke

On 7/5/2022 at 8:10 AM, Brucewr0 said:

does anyone have any idea whether this bottled water would be suitable as they are the only ones who deliver to my little town. they assure me its ok

Our recommended water treatment process for "spring" or tank water is to simply boil it. If you don't have anything larger than a 2 - 3 litre pot, then this can get a little tedious, but it's better than getting an infection in the beer - especially if you're paying for the water as well! Just add the boiled water to the fermenter and let it cool down overnight with the lid on it. In summer you'll probably need to chill some in the fridge as well, in order to get the pitching temp down. 

Cheers, Frank.

PS I'd take the bit in their spiel about the "slightly alkaline pH helping to neutralize acidity in the body..." with a very generous dose of salt. 🙂 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

That's not what our laboratory analyses tell us.

Yes,  but that would depend on the supply would it not? I have been using Geelongs water for 30years. Seems no problem here. I would imagine Melbourne would be ok too.

Adelaide,  now that might be a bit different.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Our recommended water treatment process for "spring" or tank water is to simply boil it. If you don't have anything larger than a 2 - 3 litre pot, then this can get a little tedious, but it's better than getting an infection in the beer - especially if you're paying for the water as well! Just add the boiled water to the fermenter and let it cool down overnight with the lid on it. In summer you'll probably need to chill some in the fridge as well, in order to get the pitching temp down. 

Cheers, Frank.

PS I'd take the bit in their spiel about the "slightly alkaline pH helping to neutralize acidity in the body..." with a very generous dose of salt. 🙂 

thank you frank.

being in a very small country town in Queensland (beautiful one day, perfect the next) there are lots of birds,flying foxes etc all dropping their poop on the roof which dissolves and goes into the tanks. impossible to avoid even with first flushes etc.

i  feel much safer drinking the bottled water and making my beer.

regards

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oldbloke said:

Yes,  but that would depend on the supply would it not? I have been using Geelongs water for 30years. Seems no problem here. I would imagine Melbourne would be ok too.

Adelaide,  now that might be a bit different.  

My comment regarding laboratory analyses was referring to packaged "spring water", not mains. Coopers DIY instructions tell the brewer to use tap water with no further treatment required, unless there is a noticeable level of chlorine, in which case, standing the water overnight is usually sufficient to remove most of the chlorine. Cheers! 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

My comment regarding laboratory analyses was referring packaged "spring water", not mains. Coopers DIY instructions tell the brewer to use tap water with no further treatment required, unless there is a noticeable level of chlorine, in which case, standing the water overnight is usually sufficient to remove most of the chlorine. Cheers! 

I concur with that as I fill 30l FV's with Pura Tap water & they sit in the laundry overnight uncovered & they are fine, I imagine Adelaide tap water would be the same but I have been lucky as the last 3 places I have lived in have all had Pura Taps.

22 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

My comment regarding laboratory analyses was referring to packaged "spring water", not mains. Coopers DIY instructions tell the brewer to use tap water with no further treatment required, unless there is a noticeable level of chlorine, in which case, standing the water overnight is usually sufficient to remove most of the chlorine. Cheers! 

Ok. Thought it was a typo on your part. Surprising since they charge as much as petrol. 

I have always just use tap water with no issues that I'm aware of.  Tank water just a few times come to think of it. OK then too.

Thx

• Like 2