Coopers Community

Rice malt syrup and real ale

Hey guys I’ve been thinking of adding rice malt syrup to a real ale to balance  out the bitterness a bit. I found this rice malt syrup  at the supermarket and seems like a cheap and easy way enhanced a beer. Has anyone tried it out. 

On 6/19/2022 at 1:01 PM, TheChadxxx said:

Hey guys I’ve been thinking of adding rice malt syrup to a real ale to balance  out the bitterness a bit. I found this rice malt syrup  at the supermarket and seems like a cheap and easy way enhanced a beer. Has anyone tried it out. 

Mate I think some of the guys have used it in rice lager clones possibly @Greenyinthewestofsydney I actually bought some myself to make a rice lager but didn’t get around to it yet and it’s been used since when we ran out of honey. Now you have reminded me I will have to purchase some more. What have you used with the real ale previously?

8 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Mate I think some of the guys have used it in rice lager clones possibly @Greenyinthewestofsydney I actually bought some myself to make a rice lager but didn’t get around to it yet and it’s been used since when we ran out of honey. Now you have reminded me I will have to purchase some more. What have you used with the real ale previously?

Yeah I used it a couple of times. Works fine to lighten up a brew. You may find it ferments out almost completely like dextrose rather than say dry malt so you may end up with a  slightly higher ABV using it. 

These days I just use plain white woolies rice and cereal mash it. Cheaper and a better result overall for my tastes. 

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

How do you go about that fella?

Cook 1kg of rice it in a pot on the stove for 30 mins with a handful of pilsener malt and then pour the whole thing into the mash tun with 3kgs of pilsener and mash both at 65c. 

I have also done it in my robobrew with about 17L of water and a handful of pilsener malt. Cooked for 30 mins then put the rest of the water in and 3kg of pilsener malt to drop the temp down to 65c and mashed that way.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Cook 1kg of rice it in a pot on the stove for 30 mins with a handful of pilsener malt and then pour the whole thing into the mash tun with 3kgs of pilsener and mash both at 65c. 

I have also done it in my robobrew with about 17L of water and a handful of pilsener malt. Cooked for 30 mins then put the rest of the water in and 3kg of pilsener malt to drop the temp down to 65c and mashed that way.

Do you rinse the rice before cooking to get rid of the starchy stuff or just chuck it in?

2 hours ago, Marty_G said:

@Greenyinthewestofsydneydo you think you get better results with cereal mashed rice as opposed to flaked rice?  Or are they pretty much same same. I assume you have used flaked rice. 

Same same. I used flaked rice once but at 8 bucks a kilo v woolies 1.40 it's worth the extra time to cereal mash IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Same same. I used flaked rice once but at 8 bucks a kilo v woolies 1.40 it's worth the extra time to cereal mash IMO.

I take long enough to complete a brew day as it is.  Could i do a rice cereal mash the night before the brew day, leave it in the pot overnight and add it in when mashing in?

42 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I take long enough to complete a brew day as it is.  Could i do a rice cereal mash the night before the brew day, leave it in the pot overnight and add it in when mashing in?

I have actually thought of doing this but not done it. My thinking was do the absorbtion method on the stove. Put it in the fridge overnight then mash it normally the next day. I can't see why it wouldn't work. 

When I do the cereal mash in the robobrew I just put it in after adding the water and a handful of pilsener malt then set 95c and a timer for 1 hour. It takes about 30 mins to get it up to 95 then 30 mins to cook. Then come back and add water to drop the temp down to 65 then add the pilsener malt. So while the brew day is longer the actual time in the garage is not only negligible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

I have actually thought of doing this but not done it. My thinking was do the absorbtion method on the stove. Put it in the fridge overnight then mash it normally the next day. I can't see why it wouldn't work. 

When I do the cereal mash in the robobrew I just put it in after adding the water and a handful of pilsener malt then set 95c and a timer for 1 hour. It takes about 30 mins to get it up to 95 then 30 mins to cook. Then come back and add water to drop the temp down to 65 then add the pilsener malt. So while the brew day is longer the actual time in the garage is not only negligible.

You make it sound pretty simple when you put it like that.  I have just looked back at some of your previous posts about your Asian Lagers and I am inspired.  I will have to get one into the forward plan.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

When I do the cereal mash in the robobrew I just put it in after adding the water and a handful of pilsener malt then set 95c and a timer for 1 hour. 

How much water in the robo brew with the rice to start with, and roughly how much rice do you use fella?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

How much water in the robo brew with the rice to start with, and roughly how much rice do you use fella?

About 16 to 17L. It varies with the temp of the water I add later on which in winter is about 16c and summer 23c. Sometimes when I add it's a little over 65c or a little under. I don't worry about it too much. It goes up or comes down pretty quick.

I use a standard 75 to 25 pilsener to rice ratio. 3kg pilsener and 1kg of rice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

About 16 to 17L. It varies with the temp of the water I add later on which in winter is about 16c and summer 23c. Sometimes when I add it's a little over 65c or a little under. I don't worry about it too much. It goes up or comes down pretty quick.

I use a standard 75 to 25 pilsener to rice ratio. 3kg pilsener and 1kg of rice. 

Excellent thankyou. I have a Pilsner second on the list so i reckon i'll give this a crack 👍

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 1