Coopers Community

Yeast Best Before date.

Howdy gang. Just made a starter for Mondays brew day. Realised that my liquid yeast is 4 months pst the best before. 

rekon I’m pushing poo up hill hoping that she’ll fire up and be viable by Monday afternoon?

It was 1 pack of yeast into a 2.5L starter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MitchBastard said:

rekon I’m pushing poo up hill hoping that she’ll fire up and be viable by Monday afternoon?

Umm, dunno

have a go though, perhaps it is a ploy fromt he yeast ppl to make us buy more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I ended up pitching the yeast into a litre of the wort rather than the whole 2.5L. Will step it up over the next few days and postpone brew day until later in the week. 

I reckon it will be fine if stored correctly I had a wlp yeast (Belgium Bastogne)  that was a few months out of date made a starter like you it was fine!

• Like 1

I’ve often asked the question myself but by making starters the yeasts I’ve used that are 3 - 4 moths too old worked just fine. 
Where I am one of the WLPs or Wyeasts cost about the same as the grain bill, so I’m not in a hurry to chuck them if they’re a bit old. I think on their website they recommend making a starter for an older packet, or of you are going for a strong brew.
Obviously if it goes to sh*t your time spend on the whole process puts is all into perspective.

I’d go ahead and pitch mate 👍

16 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I ended up pitching the yeast into a litre of the wort rather than the whole 2.5L. Will step it up over the next few days and postpone brew day until later in the week. 

Yeah it will be fine in my experience but you made the right call to do a smaller starter first. You could still make a Monday brew. If it fires up in the 1L then you can pitch the whole thing into a bigger vessel with another 1.5L of wort. Most of the cell replication is in the first 12 to 18 hours. I guess what I am saying is you don't need to let the first one ferment completely out.

• Like 1