Coopers Community

Fermentation problem

I'mRev

• Coopers Mexican Cerveza and yeast
  • Coopers BE1 + 250g LDM
  • Thermostat on 19c

Fermentation seems to have stalled on day 4 at SG 1.016 (OG 1.040, ABV 3.2%). I gave it a stir, raised the thermostat to 23c and added a sachet of Brigalow yeast. Everything still looks OK but the SG hasn’t moved in 2 days.

I don’t mind it being mid strength but I was aiming higher. The last 2 times I used BE1 on Coopers Lager it also stopped around 1.015 so I thought it might be the lower sugars in BE1 which is why I added the LDM this time. My last Ceveza used BE2 and went to 1.011

Any ideas on why it’s stopping early?

Rev

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, I'mRev said:
  • Coopers BE1 + 250g LDM
  • Thermostat on 19c

Fermentation seems to have stalled on day 4 at SG 1.016 (OG 1.040, ABV 3.2%). I gave it a stir, raised the thermostat to 23c and added a sachet of Brigalow yeast. Everything still looks OK but the SG hasn’t moved in 2 days.

I don’t mind it being mid strength but I was aiming higher. The last 2 times I used BE1 on Coopers Lager it also stopped around 1.015 so I thought it might be the lower sugars in BE1 which is why I added the LDM this time. My last Ceveza used BE2 and went to 1.011

Rev

Have you checked your hydrometer?

• Like 2

BE1 is 40% maltodextrin.
BE2 is 25% maltodextrin.

My understanding is that maltodextrin is less fermentable than dextrose. Maybe that has something to do with it?

And yes, agree with the others and check your hydrometer 

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 3

I calibrated my hydrometer. Its 0.997 in water so those are the corrected readings.

I added the 250g LDM because BE1 only has 600g of fermentables, but it didn't make any difference. It should have finished higher.

Edited by I'mRev
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, I'mRev said:
  • Coopers BE1 + 250g LDM
  • Thermostat on 19c

Rev

I put this type of thing down to the variability of brewing.  Using mostly natural ingredients, especially yeast.  The result is going to finish in a range.  Sometimes nothing you do can get a brew fermenting further down.  It sounds like you have tried all the usual methods.  I do think that the Maltodextrin in the BE1 is a factor.  The extra LDM should have given you a higher OG.  But higher fermentables does not necessarily mean a lower FG.  That kind of stands to reason looking at your Coopers Lager with BE1 example.

Don't worry too much.  You have still made beer.  Except without as much kick as you intended.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

the variability of brewing.  Using mostly natural ingredients, especially yeast.

That’s a good point there Shamus. The yeast may have been a bit tired - especially if the can was sitting on the shelf for a few months…

Edited by Tone boy
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Turns out my OG reading was way off.  Don't know why, but when I corrected it (based on other brews with similar ingredients) it was on track and reached the calculated FG.  Anyway, after all the fiddling I did to it,  it turned out to be the best beer I have made so far. Now I'm trying to duplicate it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I'mRev said:

Turns out my OG reading was way off.  Don't know why, but when I corrected it (based on other brews with similar ingredients) it was on track and reached the calculated FG.  Anyway, after all the fiddling I did to it,  it turned out to be the best beer I have made so far. Now I'm trying to duplicate it.

Glad to hear it turned out, sometimes all of these readings/measurements/recipes etc seem to cloud out the fact that basic beer making is not that hard, it pays sometimes to defy the rules & add say add BE 2 or even BE 3 to get those extra fermentables & as Shamus said to get more kick.