Coopers Community

Coldcrash and natural carbonation

Big Sarlikus

Hello once again.

Looks like my attempt to make “A Day For It” rotm, gave me a lot of questions.

And here another one.
I wanna try a coldcrash but didn’t realise may I do it with kveik yeast or not. I mean kveik yeast love high temperatures, will they work in bottle after coldcrash? I’ll do a natural carbonation with dextrose. And in general will ale yeast work in natural carbonation after coldcrash, or it’s only work with kegging and forced carbonation? 

P.S. carbonation or carbonisation?😀

2 hours ago, Big Sarlikus said:

Hello once again.

Looks like my attempt to make “A Day For It” rotm, gave me a lot of questions.

And here another one.
I wanna try a coldcrash but didn’t realise may I do it with kveik yeast or not. I mean kveik yeast love high temperatures, will they work in bottle after coldcrash? I’ll do a natural carbonation with dextrose. And in general will ale yeast work in natural carbonation after coldcrash, or it’s only work with kegging and forced carbonation? 

P.S. carbonation or carbonisation?😀

The yeast doesn't die in a cold crash, it just goes to "sleep". After you bottled and temps go up again, the yeast will wake up and start eating the priming sugar. It may take a little longer due to Kveik liking it warm in order to do things but it should be ok. I haven't had any issues with bottle conditioning using Kveik, even after cold crashing. 

It is carbonation 🙂 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 6:43 AM, Big Sarlikus said:

Thx, gonna try it.
ATM the beer is very muddy, maybe because of dry hopping or the type of yeast

I just did 2 x kveik at 35° and both were what I consider 'muddy' as I am used to using Nottingham, which leaves a very clear beer. But 24 hours coming down to CC temp and they've cleared up considerably. 

You could try putting your bottles in a cupboard or small area with a low level heat source - maybe an electric blanket on '1' - to keep the temps up for the kveik to carb your brew. Ideally you should carb at the temp the yeast likes so it is most active. Maybe that's why some people have long carb times? They brew at a controlled (say) 20° but then stick it in a cupboard that drops to 15° or lower overnight?

• Like 2