Coopers Community

Just tasted my first ever brew

jennyss

2 minutes ago, jennyss said:

Thanks @Classic Brewing Co and @ozdevil, No, I don't like the 'toffee' taste. I prefer a 'bitter' taste, not fruity or sweet.

Woops, couldn't have posted the above comments several days ago. Still getting the hang posting on this site.  

I jumped back on to say thanks to everyone for all your encouragement and tips.  I am going to start my second brew in a few days. I'm going to try Coopers Australian Pale Ale with No 2 brew enhancer. I will check and double check everything. I'll have better temperature control, especially at the start. My Coopers leaflet says use 'unscented bleach' for sanitising, so that's what I'll use. I'll continue being conservative and stick to two carbonation drops per bottle. But I think I won't bottle until 4 or 5 days after FG has been reached. We're going to try another bottle on Sunday which is three weeks after bottling.

@jennyss You are more than welcome, that's what this great forum is all about, everyone has to start somewhere & did, some of the members on here are professional brewers, others work in the industry, others are exceptional home brewers all doing what they love & want to be doing. As you get more experienced you will try different things & experiment but as you probably know the Coopers recipes are tried & tested & guaranteed to deliver a great brew every time - providing you follow the basic procedures such as hygiene, sanitation etc.

If you are going to use unscented bleach be sure to rinse the FV & equipment thoroughly so you don't taint the taste of your beer. There are better products such as no rinse sanitisers but for now you will be fine.

Coopers Pale Ale is virtually foolproof & very easy to make, just stick to the basics & you will like it, Pride of Ringwood hops are used in the manufacture & if you wanted to enhance the flavour & increase the bitterness you could add some extra, just ask your local Home Brew Shop ( LHBS ).

If you decide to stick to carb drops you may find in time it is not quite enough to provide the carbonation & head retention that is desirable, I use white sugar & it is better, then there is the Muzzy method so it is all out there for you to try. 

Good Luck with your Pale Ale & don't forget help is available anytime you need it, just ask.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're using bleach to clean the FV just make sure to rinse thoroughly before use.  I have cleaned the FV with bleach, but I usually use sodium percarbonate (napisan or similar). My method is to rinse and repeat to get rid of every little trace, and then I sanitise with a no rinse sanitiser before filling with ingredients.

Good luck with the pale ale, it's a great kit I reckon

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, 

I have had a similar experience with my first brew (real ale) lacking in fizz and does not taste great but drinkable. I used Milton  sanitiser for my PET bottles and I was wondering if that could have impacted the taste.

Some great ideas here from everyone that I will adopt for my next brew 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmursyd said:

Hi All, 

I have had a similar experience with my first brew (real ale) lacking in fizz and does not taste great but drinkable. I used Milton  sanitiser for my PET bottles and I was wondering if that could have impacted the taste.

my first brew was beer tasting and looking but lifeless, my 2nd a whole lot better, the third better again..

I think if your sanitiser is safe enough for new borns it will be safe for your beer too, taste might have come from the temperature you pitched your yeast at and brewed at.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jmursyd said:

Hi All, 

Hi @jmursyd
Also keep in mind that taste is subjective. It could just be your taste buds don't like real ale. You might have made a really good beer but your tastes don't think so.
What would you normally drink if you were buying from a pub or liquor store? Perhaps try that style next and compare to what you're familiar with. 

• Like 4

On 3/5/2022 at 8:43 AM, MUZZY said:

Hi @jmursyd
Also keep in mind that taste is subjective. It could just be your taste buds don't like real ale. You might have made a really good beer but your tastes don't think so.
What would you normally drink if you were buying from a pub or liquor store? Perhaps try that style next and compare to what you're familiar with. 

Agree - I'll do a Pale Ale next and see how that works 🙂

• Like 2