Coopers Community

Using Extract Kits for Ultra Light Brewing

Foccacia

Hi

Does anyone have successful experience using the Coopers Kits for ultra light brewing (around 0.5% alcohol). I know that low alcohol yeast can be used but there appears to be none on the market and the other ways of reducing the alcohol content are beyond my means.

Cheers Foccacia

50 minutes ago, Foccacia said:

Hi

Does anyone have successful experience using the Coopers Kits for ultra light brewing (around 0.5% alcohol). I know that low alcohol yeast can be used but there appears to be none on the market and the other ways of reducing the alcohol content are beyond my means.

Cheers Foccacia

There are several ways to remove alcohol or prevent it but is ins't an easy task. You can create a wort with a high content of non-fermentable sugars but that doesn't get you much further down than 2.5% in a keg or just under 3% in a bottle (bottle conditioning adds 0.4-0.5% alcohol). Non-Enzymatic mashing is another possibility to get to around 1% but neither is an option when using a kit. There are yeasts which only eat one particular type of sugar, which isn't very common in beer but I presume you also have a specially prepared wort, if you don't want to end up with a very sweet malt drink resembling beer. 

The easiest option for use with a kit is probably evaporating the alcohol from the finished beer. 20-30 minutes at about 70-80C should remove most of the alcohol. It will affect the flavour of the beer to some extent but you will run into a different problem. Bottle conditioning is not going to work as the boil also kills off the yeast. No yeast, no fizzy bottles. You can pitch more yeast I suppose but I'm not sure how well that works. Force carbonated in a keg is an option but of you aren't a kegger, it isn't an option. 

But I am no expert in low ABV beers.. Others may have a word or two to say about this. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Foccacia said:

Hi

Cheers Foccacia

Ultra light brewing is a difficult task. A lot of effort for not very good results in my opinion. Is ultra light a must? If its not I have made brews around the 2% mark with saison yeasts which are pretty darn tasty. 

If your up for that try a can of coopers pale ale or Canadian blonde. Can and 23L in the fermenter. Use Belle saison yeast. Ferment in ambient temp. Will give a brew of about 2.2 ish and it won't be too bad. Just a thought for you anyway.

• Like 1

Coopers Birell from the supermarket shelves is 0.5%
Not as much fun as brewing but it's reasonably priced, tastes good and I have consumed a fair bit of it over the years for when I feel like a thirst quenching beer without the the alcohol.

That maybe an option.

• Like 1