Coopers Community

Irish Stout recipe

G’day fellow brewers,

I just put an Irish Stout in the FV, pretty much following the recipe. I can’t get Coopers BE where I am so made my own, using 50/30/20 proportions for LDM, dextrose and maltodextrin. Instead of LDM I used a dark malt powder.

I don’t have a brew fridge so am fermenting at 23 degrees, the recommendation is 21.

The recipe uses one pack of the kit yeast but it’s only 7g.  Anyone got an opinion if that is enough or not? I have loads of Oz Pale Ale yeasts spare, but am not sure if they are the same as the stout ones. If necessary I can chuck one in.  
Cheers, and happy brewing to you all 😃

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 1

@stquinto the irish stout yeast is straight ale why the aus pale ale yeast is half ale half lager. If you only have 800 grams of fermentable in the recipe the 7 grams will be enough and at 23 degrees will take off and ferment like a beast. Even better for taste and head retention only brew to 19 or 20 litres and will come out a bit stronger too. I have done this once and was a real nice beer though i think i used US-05 slurry if i done again i would use Nottingham yeast 11 grams. I also added 1.75 kg of Liquid and dry malt to 20 liters was about 5.5% in bottle. Took about 5 or 6 weeks in bottle to get a creamy head and nice taste but once it did was really nice. Also done an EKG hop boil of some kind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@jamiek86 and @Green Blob thanks fellas.I originally intended to cut it down to 20 litres but the brew was too warm at 20 litres (26°) so I has to put some more ice-cold water in.

If it looks a bit sluggish I'll chuck some ale yeast in. I also have some Coopers yeast in a white packet rather than a gold one, that might have come from an ale-style, I can't remeber. Pity they don't write what yeast it is on the pack.

I have quite a collection of more speciality yeasts for the other recipes but don't want to use a whole pack (at a quarter of the price of a kit as well), so if necessary would rather chuck in a left-over Coopers one.

@stquinto there are numbers on the bottom of the yeast packet and the information about it at top of online store page what number on yours? think r3559 or something would be ale yeast from a bootmaker or another TC series premium tin have look on page.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, stquinto said:

If it looks a bit sluggish I'll chuck some ale yeast in. I also have some Coopers yeast in a white packet rather than a gold one, that might have come from an ale-style, I can't remeber. Pity they don't write what yeast it is on the pack.

@stquinto As Jamie says the numbers on the pack give you an indication of what yeast but I have always written a note in texta on the Coopers yeast packs when I remove them from the can and put the yeast packs in the fridge.  Note simply says what can it came off and what month/year I purchased that can.  That way when I dig though the spare yeast packs later I can use up the oldest first of the yeast I require i.e. Ale or lager yeast or the combo ones. 

If they get too far out of my self imposed "use by date range" then these are tossed in and boiled up to use them as nutrients for the good / young yeasts.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

@jamiek86 cheers for that tip mate - good to know. Good idea too @iBooz2 to write on the pack what they are and from when. I think I'll go through what I have left over and see if any are worth keeping.

I've seen other comments on the yeast thread about not having to buy more yeast - a good point and if I get a bit more structure in my brewing I will organise to reuse yeasts. When it gets to winter here and I can use dubbya I'll brew a load one after another and reuse the yeast.

👍

• Like 1

@stquinto if the yeast has been kept refrigerated it mostly good for years. however as others have said it can always be boiled with some LDM before your brew and used as a nutrient. This makes that 7g pack of kit yeast go a bit better if stepping up the gravity or just not sure . If you have 10 or 11 grams of specialty yeast even better but can do without. what and how much yeast did you use in the  check pills you have posted? looking at your beers I got impressions you knew what was doing but being in Europe and buying coopers product I understand your questions

• Like 1

@jamiek86 yeah, I should use up older ones with the LDM, good idea. In the Czech Pils I followed the recipe, using dubbya. It was winter here and in my garage it was about 13 - 14 °. The oly difference was I added more hops. A beauty of a beer, but as I mentioned elsewhere, I have noticed the beers going a bit more amber colour, rather than the very clear colour in the picture

I just ordered a coffee on tap kit for stout from ikegger in Europe. Coz we're not part of the EU in Switzerland there's no tax 😉

Got a second 5l keg for a different beer, looks like I'm starting kegging too. Best not to get all the kit at once, SWMBO might notice. Softly softly catchee monkey and all that...

@jamiek86 mate I've got a great face for radio but the background ain't bad,  and I only send pictures when it's not pissing down 🤣

Like all of us, had it up to the back teeth with the c***ky flu, at least there's the forum to vent on.

Happy brewing to all