Coopers Community

A silly Question?

Hi there peeps,

I've got a silly question.

I only use coopers extract cans.

what is the taste difference between all cans?

like for example.

what is the difference between, lets say,

coopers Draught, to Thomas coopers golden crown lager to coopers European lager.

they are all different price ranges.

are they all the same with different labels.?

is it the only difference in taste is the yeast you use and the fermentation temp? and what ever hops and grains you might add? 

thanks, and please be nice..

• Like 1

Hey Zelly. I’ve only tried the Coopers European Lager, the Lager and the stout. 
The European Lager is a different flavour to the lager, it uses European hops so it’s a bit more like a becks, or a Heineken I guess. 
But they all taste a bit different to each other, some are a bit more bitter than others, they have different malts and different yeasts (the European Lager comes with a lager yeast so needs to be fermented a bit cooler around 15 degrees). 
If you add hops, or an aftermarket yeast then that will adjust flavor as well. 
The more expensive cans are generally their premium range, so better quality ingredients, some with more hops

• Like 1

Defiantly all slightly different you could for example use an Original series lager can with tin of malt and lager yeast. Then if done same thing with 86 days pilsner and same malt and yeast at same temp you would defiantly notice a difference. I done this with Golden crown lager and 86 days pilsner were different tasting beers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is a great topic

Each tin has its own blend inside of it and taste is subjective so yes an awesome question for this discussion forum, I reckon

So how do we (in our own words not advertisers' words) describe each tin and compare them to one other? I guess a common frame of reference is required so just the basic recipes no additions... My kinda experiment and defo something I have thought eerily recently about 😮

So as luck would have it, I just happen to be carrying a deck of cards on me.... oops - wrong topic...

As luck would have it, I just happen to currently have 2 brews bottled that I started within a day of each other (2 fermentation vessels) - one with Real Ale and one with English Bitter, both brewed to the tin recipe as middies. Only a few days in bottles so far. but I will try to remember to come back to this thread and compare these two here in a couple of weeks. 

What a quirky twist of temporal alignment! Ha!

• Like 2

On 5/30/2021 at 9:50 PM, jamiek86 said:

Defiantly all slightly different you could for example use an Original series lager can with tin of malt and lager yeast. Then if done same thing with 86 days pilsner and same malt and yeast at same temp you would defiantly notice a difference. I done this with Golden crown lager and 86 days pilsner were different tasting beers.

Why so much defiance?

• Haha 2

On 7/2/2021 at 11:04 PM, Cee said:

This is a great topic

Each tin has its own blend inside of it and taste is subjective so yes an awesome question for this discussion forum, I reckon

So how do we (in our own words not advertisers' words) describe each tin and compare them to one other? I guess a common frame of reference is required so just the basic recipes no additions... My kinda experiment and defo something I have thought eerily recently about 😮

So as luck would have it, I just happen to be carrying a deck of cards on me.... oops - wrong topic...

As luck would have it, I just happen to currently have 2 brews bottled that I started within a day of each other (2 fermentation vessels) - one with Real Ale and one with English Bitter, both brewed to the tin recipe as middies. Only a few days in bottles so far. but I will try to remember to come back to this thread and compare these two here in a couple of weeks. 

What a quirky twist of temporal alignment! Ha!

Definitely not as precise as two tins brewed simultaneously with no sugars or adjuncts... But good enough, good enough

Did a "I can't wait" test - RA is maltier, EB is fruitier (and more bitter) only 8 days in bottles

I know yeasties and malt/Brew Enhancers alter flavour but this is the two main differing flavour profiles so far