Coopers Community

Shark attack XPA

Hey guys I'm going to give this a go, it's my second time brewing and wanted to try something with hops. I've already finished the process and have it in the fermenter but just want to hear other people's experiences with this. Cheers 🍻

16 minutes ago, Connradd said:

Hey guys I'm going to give this a go, it's my second time brewing and wanted to try something with hops. I've already finished the process and have it in the fermenter but just want to hear other people's experiences with this. Cheers 🍻

Shark Attack XPA is a very nice beer, in my opinion when made to 20Litres as per the recipe.

1 minute ago, Pickles Jones said:

Shark Attack XPA is a very nice beer, in my opinion when made to 20Litres as per the recipe.

Awesome cheers mate, the last brew I made was a stout so never done something like this but I noticed my brew has turned quiet "dark" is that normal?

1 minute ago, Connradd said:

Awesome cheers mate, the last brew I made was a stout so never done something like this but I noticed my brew has turned quiet "dark" is that normal?

Yes that will be OK, some brews often look a bit dark in the FV, a lot better in the bottle. You can often see the correct colour in the bottling wand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Yes that will be OK, some brews often look a bit dark in the FV, a lot better in the bottle. You can often see the correct colour in the bottling wand.

I read I few people commenting about this saying they wish they added more hops. I bought all 3 hops in 50g bags so I can add more into the dry hop stage if I want, should I?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Connradd said:

I read I few people commenting about this saying they wish they added more hops. I bought all 3 hops in 50g bags so I can add more into the dry hop stage if I want, should I?

It is a XPA so yes, go nuts!

2 hours ago, Connradd said:

I wouldn't. Coopers recipes are very good and I would suggest that you run this brew to it's conclusion. You can then use this as a benchmark and then move on from there if you wish.

I stuck to the recipe and it turned out well and I didn't wish to do any adjustments however this is subjective and I suggest that you try  adding more or different adjuncts when you feel and gain confidence that a recipe needs more of this or that.

• Thanks 1

Ok guys time for an update, it's been 8 days so I've added the dry hops. I weighted the bag but it appears to have made its way back up top, either the know came loose and everything fell out or I didn't add enough weight. If it has fallen out what should I do?

13 minutes ago, Connradd said:

Ok guys time for an update, it's been 8 days so I've added the dry hops. I weighted the bag but it appears to have made its way back up top, either the know came loose and everything fell out or I didn't add enough weight. If it has fallen out what should I do?

mate wont hurt your wort   at all just means you unintentionally went commando

in a day or 2  cold crash it if you can   for a couple of days   and if your bottling bring it back upto  bottling temp and bottle away

cold crashing will drop most of the hops  out causing the hopss to  fall into the trube

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Connradd said:

Is this a good ideas and any tips would be great. 

Yeah, it's a good idea if you have the means 👍🏽

A few days or more at temps down near zero should help to drop some yeast and hops out of suspension. 

I usually hit about 2°C for a week - less (3-4) if I'm pressed for time. I don't normally include the time it takes to get down to those temps. 

• Like 1