Coopers Community

keggerator hard sticky taps

jamiek86

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

On the subject of Kegerators, I had lunch today with a friend of mine who has had one for 10 years in working order with a free keg/fittings etc. He used it last Xmas but the SWMBO wants it gone as they are renovating & she feels it is taking up space & unnecessary. He wants $500 for it but I am hesitant as it needs a bit of a clean-up & I am thinking a new one would have a warranty & it may be a better option. It is a 2 tap model. How much do you reckon it should be worth. 

TBH it really depends on what's included with it (how many kegs included, regulator, gas tank, what taps), and how well its been looked after. At 10 years old I wonder how much life is left in the fridge. If you were to buy it I would probably budget some extra funds to redo lines, disconnects, new seals for the kegs ect.

To give you an idea I specced a 2 tap kegerator on Kegland (if it were me I would do 3 or 4 taps):

Series X - Kegerator Base Fridge with Regulator

1x Series X - Kegerator Base Fridge with Regulator $480.00 (there's also the older series 4 @ $410 but that only holds 3 kegs vs 4)

Double Tap Brushed Stainless Font Kit

1 x Double Tap Brushed Stainless Font Kit$55.00  

NUKATAP SS Tap Only (Stainless Steel) - Forward Sealing Tap

CO2 Gas Cylinders 2.6kg (FULL)

1 x CO2 Gas Cylinders 2.6kg (FULL) $69.95 (make sure you have a homebrew shop nearby who will swap or fill this)

Premium Ball Lock Disconnect MFL (Black/Liquid)

Premium Ball Lock Disconnect MFL (Grey/Gas)

duotight - 8mm (5/16”) Female x 8mm (5/16”) Female One Way Check Valve (Gas)

Subtotal  $671.60 + $56 shipping to Sydney. 

You also need kegs new ones are $105 from kegland. If you can find used corny kegs in your area cheap (check Facebook, ebay, and gumtree) - around $50- seems good to me then you could go rebuild them for about $6. 

Edited by NicolasW

5 minutes ago, NicolasW said:

TBH it really depends on what's included with it (how many kegs included, regulator, gas tank, what taps), and how well its been looked after. At 10 years old I wonder how much life is left in the fridge. If you were to buy it I would probably budget some extra funds to redo lines, disconnects, new seals for the kegs ect.

To give you an idea I specced a 2 tap kegerator on Kegland (if it were me I would do 3 or 4 taps):

Series X - Kegerator Base Fridge with Regulator

1x Series X - Kegerator Base Fridge with Regulator $480.00 (there's also the older series 4 @ $410 but that only holds 3 kegs vs 4)

Double Tap Brushed Stainless Font Kit

1 x Double Tap Brushed Stainless Font Kit$55.00  

NUKATAP SS Tap Only (Stainless Steel) - Forward Sealing Tap

CO2 Gas Cylinders 2.6kg (FULL)

1 x CO2 Gas Cylinders 2.6kg (FULL) $69.95 (make sure you have a homebrew shop nearby who will swap or fill this)

Premium Ball Lock Disconnect MFL (Black/Liquid)

Premium Ball Lock Disconnect MFL (Grey/Gas)

duotight - 8mm (5/16”) Female x 8mm (5/16”) Female One Way Check Valve (Gas)

Subtotal  $671.60 + $56 shipping to Sydney. 

You also need kegs new ones are $105 from kegland. If you can find used corny kegs in your area cheap (check Facebook, ebay, and gumtree) - around $50- seems good to me then you could go rebuild them for about $6. 

I appreciate your input & I have decided if I was going to buy one it would be brand new, I like shiny new stuff with warranties. Cheers.

9 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@NicolasW cheeky peak is my local was little overloaded reading it all from on here and them about flow control and self locking trying figure out if was same as one where put springs in yourself.

i wouldnt worry about flow control taps    unless you  have short beer lines where ya beer is always  pouring an icecream.  i just see no real benifit from flow control if your beer lines are correct and balanced

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NicolasW said:

I've been thinking about one of these recently. I'm wondering how effective it might be using it with a stout spout as a cheap version of a nitro effect. I've tried the stout spout on normal beer and it does give finer foam head, just too much of it. So I'm thinking a FC tap might help control that aspect.

I've got an order waiting with KL for a part due in stock on 20th so I think I will add a FC tap to it.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:51 PM, jamiek86 said:

@NicolasW cheeky peak is my local was little overloaded reading it all from on here and them about flow control and self locking trying figure out if was same as one where put springs in yourself.

Re the spring you just need to ask them if the spring listed on their site will work in the nukatap. I'm pretty sure you will be fine and at the end of the day its $1 a spring so not a huge loss.

TBH if you budget is tight I wouldn't bother with the Flow control. I used to have Perlick flow controls (they are still on my old kegerator at my brothers) and I can't say I miss the flow control. 

The argument for flow control is if you pedantic about your carbonation levels and wanted to run high carbed beers (eg Hefeweizen) you could do so without adjusting the lines. Most of us just run 1 carbonation so line length and diameter gets us close enough.

On 4/17/2021 at 11:12 AM, Journeyman said:

I've been thinking about one of these recently. I'm wondering how effective it might be using it with a stout spout as a cheap version of a nitro effect. I've tried the stout spout on normal beer and it does give finer foam head, just too much of it. So I'm thinking a FC tap might help control that aspect

Yeah I was thinking about getting the stout spout but wondered if it was worth it without nitro. I am interested to hear how you go with the FC. Winter makes me want get a nitro line but not sure if I can be bothered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@NicolasW thanks mate after a good clean they are OK  now and I have springs alreadyalready found too tight. I will try again though as I turned one wrong way really hard few times trying to get it off and now it leaks a little if not pull it back hard by hand. I will eventually upgrade though and hope no perm damage done by wrong way twisting.