Coopers Community

Czech Pils Recipes

Hi all,

Back again, I did a Bulldog beer kit before christmas and had my first go at dry hopping with mixed results. 

Anyways I finished that a few days ago and I think I will have a pop at the Czech Pils recipe next but can someone clarify a few things first;

Base Kit: 86 Day Pilsner - no issue there

Fermentables: LDM - I'm assuming its 500g if I read the spread sheet right? Is it worth adding anything else?

Dry hops: Saaz - How much and when? Are they add at the start or near the end?

Yeast: W-34/70 - Not used this one before, will 1 pack be enough? I normally use 2 for largers. Whats the best temp for pitching/fermenting?

Any other advice, diacety rest, cold crash, expected fermenting time?

Any advice will be great.

TIA

13 hours ago, bigrmac said:

Hi all,

Back again, I did a Bulldog beer kit before christmas and had my first go at dry hopping with mixed results. 

Anyways I finished that a few days ago and I think I will have a pop at the Czech Pils recipe next but can someone clarify a few things first;

Base Kit: 86 Day Pilsner - no issue there

Fermentables: LDM - I'm assuming its 500g if I read the spread sheet right? Is it worth adding anything else?

Dry hops: Saaz - How much and when? Are they add at the start or near the end?

Yeast: W-34/70 - Not used this one before, will 1 pack be enough? I normally use 2 for largers. Whats the best temp for pitching/fermenting?

Any other advice, diacety rest, cold crash, expected fermenting time?

Any advice will be great.

TIA

See this link for fully detailed instructions https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/czech-pils.html or a pdf here Czech Pils.pdf

1kg of LDM

Use the Saaz in a hop tea added at the start with the other ingredients.

I would use 2 packets of Dubbya (W-34/70).  Pitch and ferment at 12°C.

Other thoughts

• Once SG drops below 1.020 (might take about 5 days), raise temperature to 18°C for 4 days - Diacetyl rest
  • Drop temps by 3°C every 12 hours down to 1°C (this will take about 2.5 days)
  • Leave at 1°C for 5 days
  • Bottle as normal
  • Carbonate bottles above 18°C for 2-3 weeks
  • Lager the bottles somewhere cool for a month or 2 or 3.
  • Refrigerate and consume.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

See this link for fully detailed instructions https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/czech-pils.html or a pdf here Czech Pils.pdf

1kg of LDM

Other thoughts

• Once SG drops below 1.020 (might take about 5 days), raise temperature to 18°C for 4 days - Diacetyl rest
  • Bottle as normal

@Shamus O'Sean  You are a wealth of information, the mind boggles, your knowledge & input to this forum is outstanding. Well done & Cheers.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

@Shamus O'Sean  You are a wealth of information, the mind boggles, your knowledge & input to this forum is outstanding. Well done & Cheers.

Cheers Classic.  Almost everything I know about beer brewing was confirmed, learned or stolen from somebody else from this forum.  You could call it beerlagiarism.

The above process was taken and adapted from @Otto Von Blotto.  I follow this process now for most lagers.  Does it make a difference?  I do not really know.  But I feel better knowing that I have done it that way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Cheers Classic.  Almost everything I know about beer brewing was confirmed, learned or stolen from somebody else from this forum.  You could call it beerlagiarism.

The above process was taken and adapted from @Otto Von Blotto.  I follow this process now for most lagers.  Does it make a difference?  I do not really know.  But I feel better knowing that I have done it that way.

Fair enough but it is good to see someone who not only knows what he is talking about but cares. ✔️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

1kg of LDM

Other thoughts

• Bottle as normal

Fantastic stuff, Thank you @Shamus O'Sean,

1Kg of LDM - I thought that 500g seemed a little short

Saaz in a hop tea - is 25g the correct amount? 

Diacetyl rest - i try to incorporate one in my larger brews but never knew exactly when to ramp up the temp and I normally end up doing it late! I have an iSpindle on the way so that should help me keep track and now I have a target i should get it right

Cold crash - is there any "limit" to how long you should cold crash for? I saw a video of a guy who had a IPA crashed for 5 days trying to clear it up, normally I do 2

Edit: The recipe sheets says 20L, is that right? 

Edited by bigrmac

7 hours ago, bigrmac said:

Saaz in a hop tea - is 25g the correct amount? 

25g is what the recipe says.  So that's what I would use.  If you find it does not make much difference you can increase it next time.

Cold crash - is there any "limit" to how long you should cold crash for? I saw a video of a guy who had a IPA crashed for 5 days trying to clear it up, normally I do 2

I typically cold crash for around 5 days.  But that is because I usually add Isinglass finings after 12 hours of cooling and Polyclar 24 hours after that.  Then leave for about 3 days after that.  The finings are for when I am after a really clear beer.  Doing a couple of wheat beers at the moment.  They will not be fined.  I dropped the temperature from 21°C to 11°C last night and they cooled overnight.  Set the temp to 2°C this morning.  They should get there by a bit after lunch today.  I will keg these Thursday or Friday.

Edit: The recipe sheets says 20L, is that right? 

Yes - It's less volume to get the ABV a bit higher.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

25g is what the recipe says.  So that's what I would use.  If you find it does not make much difference you can increase it next time.

I typically cold crash for around 5 days.  But that is because I usually add Isinglass finings after 12 hours of cooling and Polyclar 24 hours after that.  Then leave for about 3 days after that.  The finings are for when I am after a really clear beer.  Doing a couple of wheat beers at the moment.  They will not be fined.  I dropped the temperature from 21°C to 11°C last night and they cooled overnight.  Set the temp to 2°C this morning.  They should get there by a bit after lunch today.  I will keg these Thursday or Friday.

Yes - It's less volume to get the ABV a bit higher.

Finings isn't something I have played around with yet, it always seems to be glossed over. If you add finings before bottling will you need to add a small amount of yeast to aid the secondary fermentation?

2 hours ago, bigrmac said:

Finings isn't something I have played around with yet, it always seems to be glossed over. If you add finings before bottling will you need to add a small amount of yeast to aid the secondary fermentation?

No.  Most fining methods still leave enough yeast in suspension to carbonate your bottles.

• Like 2

I just came across this thread as I had just opened a bottle of Czech Pils that has been sitting quietly for about 3 months.

I followed the recipe exactly, and fermented it in my garage (13 degrees) where I am ( Switzerland).  I added some beer finings on day before bottling (I didn’t bring it up to 18 degrees for a few days but might try next time).  I left it a month after bottling and still had some home-brew aftertastes. Three months on I am really happy with it: if I got that in a pub I’d be well chuffed. 
I’ll defo make it again, maybe add a few more Saaz hops and up the fermentables (maybe 500d light dry malt?). 
After finings there was still enough yeast to ferment the extra sugar I added (8g/ litre) fir the bottle fermentation. Look at it yourselves:

41926495-F6D3-4F2B-9F14-EFE074007B35.jpeg

32524F07-937A-4E8F-9BD9-16E95535E74A.jpeg

• Like 7

On 3/14/2021 at 11:39 PM, bigrmac said:

I will throw my 2c worth in here. With the CC it is about the temp not so much the time. If you can get to under 2c great and just under 1c is even better. once at the temp leave it there for 48 hours minimum.   As with all things brewing there is no cookie cutter. It is what suits you.  I usually leave it a minimum of 48 hours and it is done but the longer the better as it is also part of the largering process so you get bulk lagering.   If you leave for 5,10 or 15 days that is up to you but minimum is about 48 hours.   if you want to use finings best to put those in when it hit around 4c.  As it ramps down lower it will clear wonderfully.   You can bottle when it is cold but it will need to come back to ambient to carbonate.  

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 7:03 PM, stquinto said:

I just came across this thread as I had just opened a bottle of Czech Pils that has been sitting quietly for about 3 months.

I followed the recipe exactly, and fermented it in my garage (13 degrees) where I am ( Switzerland).  I added some beer finings on day before bottling (I didn’t bring it up to 18 degrees for a few days but might try next time).  I left it a month after bottling and still had some home-brew aftertastes. Three months on I am really happy with it: if I got that in a pub I’d be well chuffed. 
I’ll defo make it again, maybe add a few more Saaz hops and up the fermentables (maybe 500d light dry malt?). 
After finings there was still enough yeast to ferment the extra sugar I added (8g/ litre) fir the bottle fermentation. Look at it yourselves:

41926495-F6D3-4F2B-9F14-EFE074007B35.jpeg

32524F07-937A-4E8F-9BD9-16E95535E74A.jpeg

So you used 50g of Saaz and you would add more next time? Did you brew 20litres?

I am still messing around trying to get my iSpindle to work and then I have a few days away but hopefully the weekend after next I will finally get chance to get this brew on.

On 3/21/2021 at 10:15 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

I will throw my 2c worth in here. With the CC it is about the temp not so much the time. If you can get to under 2c great and just under 1c is even better. once at the temp leave it there for 48 hours minimum.   As with all things brewing there is no cookie cutter. It is what suits you.  I usually leave it a minimum of 48 hours and it is done but the longer the better as it is also part of the largering process so you get bulk lagering.   If you leave for 5,10 or 15 days that is up to you but minimum is about 48 hours.   if you want to use finings best to put those in when it hit around 4c.  As it ramps down lower it will clear wonderfully.   You can bottle when it is cold but it will need to come back to ambient to carbonate.  

I struggle to get down much below 2C but something is better than nothing I guess

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 7:39 PM, bigrmac said:

So you used 50g of Saaz and you would add more next time? Did you brew 20litres?

Hey bigrmac, 20l indeed, with the 25g in the recipe. Next time I’d go for 50g instead, with maybe 500g dextrose or a really pale dry malt on top of what is in the recipe. I went though different phases in my brewing career - first making them as strong as I possibly could, gave up with them as I ended up with at best gushers (and a few glass grenades),  then dry-hopping all over the place, (they tended to fade too quickly) and finally following the recipes. 
There are some ripper recipes and some brilliant advice from all on the forum 👍

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Thats the brew in the FV fridge finally,

Went with 50g of Saaz steeped in approx  2l of boiled water (boiled, not boiling) for 30 min. I put the hops in a sterilised nylon bag and that has gone in to the FV as well.

The rest of the brew is as per the recipe, yeast was pitched at 23 degC and its now cooling down to 12.5 degC in the fridge. 

SG was 1.046, think she might have some kick!

Now we play the waiting game

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been away with work all week, checked on the brew yesterday and its at 1.015.

I raised the temp. to 18degC for the diacetyl rest and I will be cold crashing after that.

Question: There was a lot of sediment in the sample I took for the SG reading, is that partly due to the hops being in there?

5 hours ago, bigrmac said:

Question: There was a lot of sediment in the sample I took for the SG reading, is that partly due to the hops being in there?

Sounds like the brew is going well. 

What did the sediment look like?  I mostly get some yeast settling in the bottom of the tube.  Just a thin creamy layer.  If it has bits in it, it probably is some of the finer hop matter.  Your cold crash will most likely settle it out.

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Sounds like the brew is going well. 

What did the sediment look like?  I mostly get some yeast settling in the bottom of the tube.  Just a thin creamy layer.  If it has bits in it, it probably is some of the finer hop matter.  Your cold crash will most likely settle it out.

It looks like a normal turn, a creamy layer as you call it, just more than I am used too. No off smells so I'm sure its fine.

I will be checking again today but I reckon its ready to cold crash.

• Like 1