Coopers Community

BOATING & FISHING = FUN

Classic Brewing Co

29 minutes ago, Malter White said:

Not for a few years yet. I'm pretty sure our state government has put a moratorium on Snapper fishing until 2026 to replenish breeding stocks. There's always plenty of KG Whiting to make up for that though.

Pardon my ignorance but I buy Red Snapper all of the time, but I suppose these are just farmed, they taste good though.

200226313_20220707_1611341.thumb.jpg.103dd33555207f9b2f33eaf9f0b34761.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malter White said:

Not for a few years yet. I'm pretty sure our state government has put a moratorium on Snapper fishing until 2026 to replenish breeding stocks. There's always plenty of KG Whiting to make up for that though.

didn't know they put  moratorium on  Snapper mate ..   but i spose it is a good thing ...   

would hate to see the snapper fishery depleted for the rec angler.

i should have a yarn to my brother in law  how this is effecting him being pro fisherman and snapper  is part of bread and butter

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Is your 75 a two-stroke?  Also did it come standard with that cavitation plate fitting on the motor or was it an optional extra?  

Four stroke fella. Its a new boat and two strokes are not made anymore. The hydrofoil was fitted because she goes over 60 kay an hour flat out and porpoises a little bit, so it keeps the boat steady.

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Pardon my ignorance but I buy Red Snapper all of the time, but I suppose these are just farmed, they taste good though.

200226313_20220707_1611341.thumb.jpg.103dd33555207f9b2f33eaf9f0b34761.jpg

Not the same fish Phil.  Our South Aus snapper is very slow growing, cant be farmed. Its been tried before with no success.

Edited by Pale Man
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Four stroke fella. Its a new boat and two strokes are not made anymore. The hydrofoil was fitted because she goes over 60 kay an hour flat out and porpoises a little bit, so it keeps the boat steady.

60 KPH huh, lucky you.  My HSSH gives me a clip over the ears when I take mine up over 55.  As soon as the needle hits that on the dial I can see her winding up for a shot.  Mine is a fibreglass hull and does not porpoise when trimmed up properly, does get airborne when you hit a big wave but.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Not the same fish Phil.  Our South Aus snapper is very slow growing, cant be farmed. Its been tried before with no success.

Yes that red snapper sold in supermarkets, fish markets and the like is definitely not the same fish, it is a marketing rip off as it is a tough as boot leather and terrible to eat.  I only got sucked in the once.

We are lucky here in VIC as we have a massive native snapper fishery in Port Phillip and in Westernport which runs hot from October to February.  In February everyone switches over to KG whiting.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Yes that red snapper sold in supermarkets, fish markets and the like is definitely not the same fish, it is a marketing rip off as it is a tough as boot leather and terrible to eat.  I only got sucked in the once.

We are lucky here in VIC as we have a massive native snapper fishery in Port Phillip and in Westernport which runs hot from October to February.  In February everyone switches over to KG whiting.

I have cooked it several ways including wrapping in foil with white wine & herbs in the oven, in the weber, pan fried, crumbed & all turned out very nice, I agree there are better fish, but I would buy it again.

• Like 1