Coopers Community

Boiling kits

Hi All,

Im just wondering how many of you (if any)  carry out a boil when you are making a K&K?  If you do, why do you do it?

I have read that the hopped kits (APA ect) have already been boiled, so if you boil them again you will increase the bitterness and darken the colour.

The malt extracts have not been boiled, so they are OK to go into a boil though.

I mainly brew AG but have been putting some kits together (with added dry hops)  over Christmas, and been really surprised at how well they have turned out with neutral yeasts and good temp control. The great unwashed masses coming to the garage bar seem to love them.

I would love to hear your opinions.

4 hours ago, Staggerinn said:

I would love to hear your opinions.

Several of the Coopers recipes have either an unhopped malt extract or dry malt extract boil.  It's pretty common.

I am planning the Cascarillo and the Chubby Cherub some time over the next month or two.

Having said that, unless it is for a hop boil, there should be no need to boil either a hopped kit or an unhopped liquid extract.

21 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Several of the Coopers recipes have either an unhopped malt extract or dry malt extract boil.  It's pretty common.

Having said that, unless it is for a hop boil, there should be no need to boil either a hopped kit or an unhopped liquid extract.

Most of those recipes are dry malt boils to do the hop additions - not boiling the tins.

I noticed the double amber tin with cascade recepie said to boil half a tin with hop additions. Farly sure only half tin because its not the best for liquid tins. When I first got into brewing years ago I boiled a whole tin for an extra hop addition I noticed the fv had heaps of floaties in it compared to just mixing with no boil. Probably doesn't do alot of harm but I think better to add a hop tea or only boil with dry malt but up to the individual.