Coopers Community

Using SafLager 34/70 instead of US-05 - What's the impact to the end result?

Hi all

I was about to make the Turbo Charged American Pale Ale recipe but noticed that the last remaining yeast sachet in the fridge is a 34/70.  So what I wanted to know from the experienced brewers is what the impact to the end result would be if I used the 34/70 in place of the recipe's requirement of US-05?

If it helps the overall recipe uses:-

1. 1.7KG Mexican Cerveza
  2. 1KG BE3
  3. 500g Light Dry Malt
  4. 250g Crystal Malt grains
  5. 25g Bravo
  6. 25 Simcoe
  7. 25g Citra

The recipe also states that I need to use yeast that comes with the brew can as well which presumably is suited to the Cerveza.

Another point for this is that temp control isn't an issue as it will be in the ferm fridge and controlled via an STC-1000 so if I need to keep it around 12C then doing so isn't an issue.

Final point is that I can ferment under pressure as well as I have a Fermzilla All Rounder.. Based on that I could ratchet up the temperature to around 16C-18C if I crank the pressure up to around 15PSI.

Any advice on this would be great as if it's suitable then I can brew today.  If not then I will just need to wait until after the holidays when my LHBS re-opens.

Cheers

25 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

That is a lager anyway.... BUT one packet 34/70 @ 12° may not be enough yeast.
Maybe go 15° for a bit to get it going then drop?

The recipe advises to use the sachet that comes with the Cerveza tin to ensure sufficient yeast to deal with all the fermentables.

Understand the source tin is a lager but the recipe goes for 05..... Presumably given the end result is a Pale Ale.  

Would we expect a significant difference to the taste with using the 34/70?

2 hours ago, Frankie4Fingers said:

The recipe advises to use the sachet that comes with the Cerveza tin to ensure sufficient yeast to deal with all the fermentables.

Which will not be a lager yeast and not do anything at 12°.

2 hours ago, Frankie4Fingers said:

Would we expect a significant difference to the taste with using the 34/70?

We? I would. US05 is boring... Probably better with a lager yeast.
Hoopy craft mexican lager.

if kit yeast for Mexican cervesa is half lager yeast that's 15 grams of lager yeast and 3.5g of ale that would do nothing depending on brew temp plenty at 14 or 15 degrees to do it might not be as crisp but I've used 14 grams with similar ingredients came out good at 15 degrees

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Frankie4Fingers said:

If it's fermented under pressure then am I correct to presume that negates the need to drop it back down once it gets going and it could be left to do everything at around 15 to 16c without introducing off flavours from esters?

I ferment with W34/70 at 15psi with the temperature around the 22° - 23° with no problems. Usually finishes in 4 - 5 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2020 at 11:00 AM, kmar92 said:

I ferment with W34/70 at 15psi with the temperature around the 22° - 23° with no problems. Usually finishes in 4 - 5 days.

Hi @Frankie4Fingers Frankie - recently did a W34/70 Pressure Ferment Lager also with good advice from @kmar92 and was even warmer than 23 at times - turned out to be a beautiful brew...

image.png.a0c83283471457bcf0c362eed638de51.png

I did have some old W34/70 slurry I pitched onto... and sprinkled a pack of dry W34/70 as well... so from a yeast population pitch perspective am not much help.

Lagers in general benefit from overpitch and higher populations... 

You could consider doing a starter maybe?