Coopers Community

K97 yeast ferment time

Lab Cat

Anyone brewed with this and can offer some experience?

I'm brewing a kolsch type beer and this yeast is often recommended for this, but is also used for other German styles. Mine is simple - Cerveza, BE2 some malt and a decent amount of Hellertau, fermenting at 15.5%. OG was 1049 for a projected finish of 1013. 4 Days of ferment and I'm still sitting on 1038., with a still thick and very glossy krasuen, as seems typical of this yeast. My first though that a cooler ferment means a slower one, but welcome any experience brewing with this stuff.

ok so kolsch yeast ale at lager temps probably better off waiting for someone else but if at lower end of temp rang probably stalled or not as effective as 18 degrees i think that's more kolsch style same as original series lager with supplied yeast on 18 would be a kolsch?

or ig it is a lager yeast at those temps it is a lager not kolsch until on 18 or 20?

Edited by jamiek86

as far as I'm concerned a kolsch is like a draught in a bottle. its just another name they give it. so a kolsch yeast is just an ale yeast and there are some that can ferment lower like Nottingham or whatever your using now plenty out there. but I wouldn't panic as you already said its active and your right at the bottom end of the scale. I bet at 18 degrees you would still be making a kolsch but would have a lower gravity.  I was actually thinking of a steam ale when I asked if a lager yeast brewed warmer.

back to my point about yeast you could almost say a lager can with ale yeast brewed at 18 was a kolsch style? depends how technical you want to get i suppose I dont think.the yeast packet needs to say kolsch to make it one its just another ale yeast that you can ferment little lower.

Edited by jamiek86

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

How many packs did you use? Have done a few kolsch's with K97 at 16c. From memory they were not the fastest to finish off and I was doing starters rather than a packet. 4 days for 11 points is pretty darn slow.

Just one pack for 1.5kg fermentables, but only about 700g of that is malt.

Never used K-97, but I have used Lallemand Kolsch a couple of times at 15 degrees. Even with rehydration (which I don't usually do unless it's a lager) it was slow to kick off. I didn't take a reading until day 10 but my notes say that I didn't even have a krausen until 60 hours after pitching and that there wasn't solid airlock activity until day 4.

I would maybe give it another day to see if it kicks off and then maybe raise the temp a degree or two if it hasn't started moving properly.

• 4 weeks later...

This one took a full 2 weeks to ferment and got down to the predicted 1013. I then crashed it for a few days and bottled. Had to scoop the krasuen off before doing my bulk prime, that thing wasn't ever going to go away. Best brew I've had in quite a while. The Hallertau is the hero here, and it's a light bodied full flavoured beer.