Coopers Community

LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This was back in my early brewing days before temperature control and heat belts and the like.  It was the middle of winter in Melbourne and I had a sluggish ferment going on.  It might have even been a stalled brew.  It was not the right thing to do, but I put the FV on top of a bottle crate that I had placed over a central heating floor duct outlet.  I am not sure about the wort in the FV, but the temperature strip on the outside read 30°C, before I realised it and promptly relocated the FV away from the outlet.  Beer turned out okay.

Warming cold wort in a cube might be risky from an infection point of view.  Although if the inside is sterile, it should be okay, I guess.

This beer is a FWK that came from my LHBS which they make on premise and package straight out of a 500L Braumeister so I am confident about the cube being sterile.

I think I will put the cube into the fridge with the belt on and set the STC to 25C and gently bring the temperature up.  Its the only way I can think to get the temp up to be anywhere near pitching temps for the yeast.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Beerlust said:

It really could be a terrific solution for new home brewers that struggle with controlling ferment temps particularly in the Summer months here in AUS.

I’ve been using it in a uncontrolled fermenter and it goes nuts. I bought an extra fermenter for it. It’s great for banging out a quick keg filler that tastes great. 

I think that you would enjoy the experimentation in this yeast Lusty. Especially for your hoppy pales. 

• Like 1

Brew fridge set to 34.8degC, and it has been holding within 0.5degC, except for last night (2nd night after pitching).

Woke up this morning and temp was 33.5degC, was a cold night, yeast is starting to slow down/drop and the 20W reptile pad is struggling to keep the temp up, as yeast activity slows.

This I will need to  get another heat pad if I like the taste of this yeast.

Put a hot water bottle in the fridge and the temp was back to 34.9degC after an hour.

Will do a gravity sample tomorrow, might be getting close, fingers crossed.

Cheers

James

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James Lao said:

43 hours after pitching it is 1.014 from 1.062 can’t freaking believe it!!

Seems a bit more cloudy than US-05, but then it hasn’t even been 2 days yet.

No Way Ay!!!

Cheers

James

I brewed Saturday pitched at lunchtime. 35c fermentation. Checked Monday after work and done! 1.060-1.010. 

• Like 1

Hey Hilltop Hops,

What did you regarding dry hopping your brew (if at all)?

Wondering whether to drop the temp to mid 20’s to DH or just keep it high - DH,  then CC like the usual schedule?

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao
Hops not Hoods!

6 minutes ago, James Lao said:

Hey Hilltop Hops,

What did you regarding dry hopping your brew (if at all)?

Wondering whether to drop the temp to mid 20’s to DH or just keep it high - DH,  then CC like the usual schedule?

Cheers

James

First time using Kveik but I added hops at 35c then bought temp down to 20c the following day. Others may be able to share what they have done and how it turned out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop hops said:

First time using Kveik but I added hops at 35c then bought temp down to 20c the following day. Others may be able to share what they have done and how it turned out. 

I haven't brewed with this yet but have the yeast sachet in the fridge ready.  I bought 80g of Citra to add into a New World Ale FWK but I am thinking I may DH 40g into the keg when I transfer after CC.  I am contemplating that based on earlier advice in this thread.

• Like 1

i didn't add hops but 2.4 kg of fruit at 38c for 70hrs or so weighted so it was submerged .At that temp i thought it would be better submerged . I have done this brew many times b4 the only difference was using voss instead of us-05 the difference i found is less dry  smoother and more fruitier 

• Like 1

Update on my Viking American IPA:

Brewed at 34.8degC and it was done in 2.5 days.

Finished at 1.012 from 1.062.

Brewed on Tuesday, dropped temp on Friday to 25degC along with dry hop.

Dropped temp to 2degC Saturday morning

Kegged on Sunday and fast carbed.

Had 3 glasses yesterday and it was bloody  nice, tropical fruit coming  through in a big way!

I can see why this yeast gets used in NEIPA's because it was very cloudy compared other brew done with US-05 or Notty (early days though).

I am back at work for a few weeks now, so will be interesting to see if it clears over that time.

Still, I am calling it a successful experiment for me because now I don't have to leave a brew in the FV for up to 4-5 weeks when I come away to work.

I now know I can get a brew from grain to glass in less than a week.

No extra farts or headaches observed, no off flavours either, with the new yeast or hot ferment - win win!!

Cheers

James

33 minutes ago, James Lao said:

Update on my Viking American IPA:

Brewed at 34.8degC and it was done in 2.5 days.

Finished at 1.012 from 1.062.

Brewed on Tuesday, dropped temp on Friday to 25degC along with dry hop.

Dropped temp to 2degC Saturday morning

Kegged on Sunday and fast carbed.

Had 3 glasses yesterday and it was bloody  nice, tropical fruit coming  through in a big way!

I can see why this yeast gets used in NEIPA's because it was very cloudy compared other brew done with US-05 or Notty (early days though).

I am back at work for a few weeks now, so will be interesting to see if it clears over that time.

Still, I am calling it a successful experiment for me because now I don't have to leave a brew in the FV for up to 4-5 weeks when I come away to work.

I now know I can get a brew from grain to glass in less than a week.

No extra farts or headaches observed, no off flavours either, with the new yeast or hot ferment - win win!!

Cheers

James

i reckon it is a winning yeast as well cheers