Coopers Community

LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

6 minutes ago, DonPolo said:

I didn't realise that worts could be fermented at those temperatures?

LalBrew® Voss supports a wide range of fermentation temperatures between 25-40°C (77-104°F) with a very high optimal range of 35-40°C (95-104°F). Very fast fermentations are achieved within the optimal temperature range with full attenuation typically achieved within 2-3 days. The flavor profile is consistent across the entire temperature range: neutral with subtle fruity notes of orange and citrus. Flocculation is very high producing clear beers without filtration or use of process aids.

This is direct from the Lallemand website.  Most yeasts don't typically ferment at this temp but this strain is obviously a bit special in how it was derived.

Edited by Frankie4Fingers
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DonPolo said:

I didn't realise that worts could be fermented at those temperatures?

At 35c I just had a batch finish up in less than 2 days, about 4 hours short to be exact. It is a crazy yeast that has some really great properties. I use it in all my hazy pale ales.

• Like 1

I have been using Kveik exclusivly for my ales for about 3 months. Just harvest the trub and pitch straight from the fridge into the wort. Made a 42 litre batch of all grain APA today pitched slurry at midday and has been going bananas for the last 2 hours. Needs to ferment out about 34 points so should be finished Friday morning.  Will let it sit and settle till Monday then keg and cold crash.  

I also pressure ferment with it at 15psi for both ales @ 38c and lagers at 24c. It is amazing stuff.  If you use an airlock change it to a blow off valve... 

• Like 1

Hi brew legends,

I am interested in using this yeast.

What is the attenuation like?

What temps do people usually ferment at?

I am struggling to get my head around that 30-40degC is the best temp for these little fellas?

Was thinking of using it in my normal IPA, maybe even an ESB?

Cheers

James

I admit I know almost nothing about these Kveik strains of yeast, but have a growing interest in them on the back of many positive posts by home brewers.

For those that have used this strain, is there a notable ester profile left by fermenting at this high temperature?

These strains would indeed be very unique if they can avoid this trait at those ferment temps.

I am curious.

Lusty.

Just read that it is best to pitch dry with this yeast?

I am planning on a 1.060 beer, would have thought a starter is the go..

But maybe not 24 hours in advance??

Cant wait to try it!

Cheers

James

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, James Lao said:

Thanks Marty.

Think I will give it a go on my next IPA at 30degC.

Like the sound of it being done in a couple of days!!

Woohoo!!

Cheers

James

30c is too low will need 35c at least.  Maybe even higher for an IPA. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, James Lao said:

Cant wait to try it!

Cheers

James

No starter needed. Throw out the rule book with this stuff. Just pitch the whole dry packet then after that harvested trub.   Also dont be scared of the heat. 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, James Lao said:

Cant wait to try it!

Cheers

James

My raspberry brew i am doing was 1062 down to 1011 in 66hrs at 39 to 40c just added fruit 2kg of raspberry .5kg of pear which has added 5 to 6 points and can see kruasen beginning a little in less then a hr great stuff i reckon . As it is high temp i made sure my fruit is full submerged by wort makes me fell better anyhow LOL cheers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Under pitching works really well with this yeast as @Beerlust it throws esters of fruit. 
When I have underpitched I got more orange zest/mandarin esters

As an ester profile, it sounds quite remarkable actually, and something I would seek with the types of beers I mainly like to brew.

I've read very little about these Kveik strains. Given they seem to enjoy fermenting at high ferment temps much like a Saison strain, how do they cope fermenting at lower ferment temps say around 18-20°C like typical ale strains? i.e. do you need to pitch higher levels like a lager strain at these lower ferment temp levels? NFI here.

Lusty.

21 hours ago, Beerlust said:

how do they cope fermenting at lower ferment temps say around 18-20°C like typical ale strains?

They stall. If you want a lager type flavour profile Kveik Voss is fermented at around 24c which is getting close to the bottom of the range.  Lower that that they start to stall. I have done APA';s at 38c and Pilsners at 24 and they both taste the way they should. At 38 you get the esters and at 24 you get crisp and dry. 

• Thanks 1

Was wondering about conditioning time/temp in bottles for this yeast.

The bulk of my batch will be getting kegged and force carbonated, but was wondering about the 3-4 bottles I usually have from a batch - do they need to be at 30degC+, as well ..?

Cheers

James