Coopers Community

19lt Big W pots, Discontinued??

Beets Beers

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

Not boiling.

Mash temps usually range from about 63° to 70°+ - there are reasons to go above or below but it's not usual because it limits which sugars you get - you'd have to look it up but I THINK it's lower than around 67° gives easier conversion sugars and higher ABV but thinner beer and above gives better body but slightly less ABV. I'm no expert on it - I read enough to know that if I mash at 67° it tends to give the best of both worlds. The lower temps (<63°) are not much used these days as the grains are better. But you might use them for some specialty grain mashes.

Boil is a very specific temp - 100° - which is done AFTER you extract the starches - you boil the liquid with starches in it to make them into sugars which the yeast then eats in the FV.

excellent and clear explanation journeyman, between what you and shamus have offered up here i dont think i can get it wrong now 😉 my only battle will be trying to regulate the temp on my old gas oven, i already now that the dial on the oven with the temps marked on it mean nothing lol, but the gas top at least i will be able to move the pot away from the flame periodically if it gets to hot and monitor its temp with a thermometer

Edited by amberfiend

On 9/15/2020 at 11:12 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes they work on an induction cooker.  I use mine to heat my sparge water on an induction cooker.

What's the heat time on the induction?

Currently using the side burner stove on the bbq but can take a while to hit temp but keen to pick up portable induction. Down the track

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beets Beers said:

What's the heat time on the induction?

I'm interested also. My guess would be the efficiency would be between electric hotplate and gas burner given the pot is being heated directly but I wonder about the time it takes. 

I'm thinking I could use one to bring my mash up to temp then use the sous vide to keep it there - could be a cheaper power option than having the sous vide do all the heating.

2 hours ago, Beets Beers said:

What's the heat time on the induction

I have not timed it, but I think it would be about 30-45 minutes to heat 18 Litres from 10 to 75 degrees.  Probably 45-60 minutes to get to boiling. 

I don't think they are very efficient, but they are convenient.  Power-wise it kept pace with my Grainfather the other day heating about 18 litres to boiling.

I got mine from K-mart.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have both portable standard and induction units. I use for mini mashes, the standard unit you can use with an inkbird to control temperature, the induction i cant because its digital control and it just switches it off. If you can get an induction with standard controls then that would work with an inkbird.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have not timed it, but I think it would be about 30-45 minutes to heat 18 Litres from 10 to 75 degrees.  Probably 45-60 minutes to get to boiling. 

I don't think they are very efficient, but they are convenient.  Power-wise it kept pace with my Grainfather the other day heating about 18 litres to boiling.

I got mine from K-mart.

You are right they are not very efficient the pot its self acts like a big heat sink. I find where possible I boil water in a jug then put it in the pot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Titan said:

I have both portable standard and induction units. I use for mini mashes, the standard unit you can use with an inkbird to control temperature, the induction i cant because its digital control and it just switches it off. If you can get an induction with standard controls then that would work with an inkbird.

These days I still run my digital induction unit through an Inkbird when heating sparge water.  Hot alarm set for 77°C and temperature off set at 80°C.  The alarm usually gets my attention so I can adjust the temperature down.  If I walk away and miss the alarm, the unit turns off at 80°C.  As you say, as a digital unit it does not turn back on though.  A bit clunky and simple, but meets my needs.  Certainly better than waiting for boiling sparge water to cool down.

• 2 months later...
On 9/15/2020 at 10:42 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes they work on an induction cooker.  I use mine to heat my sparge water on an induction cooker.

I'm still thinking about getting an induction cooktop. I think the efficiency idea (or lack of) might be a furphy. Figures I've seen are over 80% transfer to the pot, which depends I guess on what they are measuring, but it makes sense. There's no energy being wasted in heating an element with subsequent heat waste to other directions than straight to the pot - including the steel surrounds of the stove.

But my other consideration is the difference in size between an electric stove element, my current (see what I did there? 😄 ) heat source and the larger element in the cooktop, compared to the large pot. (~ 30 cm) The energy requirement to heat X amount of water is the same but the induction element is heating a lot more area so it should work faster and not leak heat.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 2