Coopers Community

19lt Big W pots, Discontinued??

Beets Beers

Hi All,

My mate recently bought a mill and keen to start buying bulk grain so I though it be a good opportunity to dabble in AG.

Not wanting to invest too much at this stage I was keen on getting the 19lt Big W pot for Maxi and mini BIAB, however none are in stock at any of my local stores, which is not surprising as most department stores are looking quite bare with COVID.

However, these pots are no longer on the the website either..... Can anyone vouch if these pots are still available near you or if my fears are true.

Kmart and target sell 15lt pots, I'm only likely to brew between 13-20lt batches at max mid 4 ABV. Could I get away with that? 

While our local is out, the site is offering delivery. 

Can you use the smaller one? I'm not sure - you could make a smaller batch and add water after but if I understand the process, you might lose out on the mash side of things (low efficiency) if there is not enough water. AG'ers can tell you the ratio. i.e. how much grain bill will work for 15L.

7 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

While our local is out, the site is offering delivery. 

I cant even find the pots on the website any more to order. I don't know looking at the wrong area but I have search the entire kitchen section and even a straight "19lt pot Big W" google just gives results for kmart and targets 15lt pots.

Edited by Beets Beers

I searched '19 l pot' and found it. It's here... https://www.bigw.com.au/product/brilliant-basics-stock-pot-19l-silver/p/63355/

Did a bit of looking - from a brief browse they are a remarkable deal - nearest I could find otherwise was like $120!!!

If that doesn't pan out, there's a $94 one here... https://www.heyhey.com.au/products/brand-new-top-grade-thick-soga-stainless-steel-stock-pot-18-10?variant=39890035085 - you'd have to check whirlpool for their reputation - not a site I'm familiar with.

Edited by Journeyman

8 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I searched '19 l pot' and found it. It's here... https://www.bigw.com.au/product/brilliant-basics-stock-pot-19l-silver/p/63355/

Did a bit of looking - from a brief browse they are a remarkable deal - nearest I could find otherwise was like $120!!!

If that doesn't pan out, there's a $94 one here... https://www.heyhey.com.au/products/brand-new-top-grade-thick-soga-stainless-steel-stock-pot-18-10?variant=39890035085 - you'd have to check whirlpool for their reputation - not a site I'm familiar with.

Sorry mate and cheers. For whatever reason just wasnt showing for me. It is a damn fine deal. If I had to pay up wards of $100 I'd probs just go a but more and get a digiboil or the likes.

Won't let me deliver but keep an eye out for them when they get back in store.

2 minutes ago, Beets Beers said:

Won't let me deliver but keep an eye out for them when they get back in store

That's weird - it's offering me delivery for $9.90 by 22 July. Where are you located?

Not sure what you're sorry for, 😄 but it's OK. 😄

• 1 month later...

just put in an order for pick up from the nearest store about an hour ago, waiting for confirmation details, fingers crossed i dont get some email back apologizing for being out of stock ? lol

it seems like most of these big places that are doing click and collect now are using it as a license to take their sweet ass time processing orders etc ? lol will probably get a message telling me its all good to collect on friday even though its sitting in the stockroom right now ?

anyway, looking forward to some mini mash action soon yeah 😉

Edited by amberfiend
  • Like 1

Last time in BigW locally they still had them - circa a week or so back.

Don't forget to grab the lid - it's supposed to come with the pot. At least mine did - it was $20 for both, not the $20 for the pot and extra for the lid.

I keep the lid on until the boil starts then crack it open a bit to prevent the build up of dimethyl sulphides during the boil. Get it right and I can turn my hotplate down to 8 and keep the churning boil going - having the lid on till the boil helps it get there faster.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Last time in BigW locally they still had them - circa a week or so back.

Don't forget to grab the lid - it's supposed to come with the pot. At least mine did - it was $20 for both, not the $20 for the pot and extra for the lid.

I keep the lid on until the boil starts then crack it open a bit to prevent the build up of dimethyl sulphides during the boil. Get it right and I can turn my hotplate down to 8 and keep the churning boil going - having the lid on till the boil helps it get there faster.

thanks for the tip man, i was wondering about this earlier ? whether i wait to rech a certain temp before beginning to add ingredients or whether to add them when the waters straight out of the tap at whatever temp it comes out at ?

15 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Just measured mine. 26cm deep. 30.5cm internal width, 40cm handle to handle. The 33cm is an almost irrelevant height to top of lid handle.

cheers mate, i was scratching my head about that 26cm ? wondering how that works ? lol *i want to grab a brew bag this week and im trying to work out most suitable options etc

Edited by amberfiend

5 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Go to Bunnings, paint section, get their pack of large paint bags - 3 for ~$8. Works perfectly and fits easily over the lip of the pot

yeah i seen a guy on youtube recommend them, i guess i should seeing as in in no immediate hurry right now ? i was planning a ride out to kegland on thursday or friday and they have the single bags for $8 but as i wont need it straight away i guess i could order through bunnings and wait a few days for them to pull their fingers out and carry it from the shelf to the counter for me to pick up ? lol 😉

2 minutes ago, amberfiend said:

*there is two sizes for them paint strainers, would it be better to get the smaller one for this size pot ? i wouldnt want to have too much of the fabric hanging over the edge of the pot etc ?

I'm not sure the small ones would fit. The large ones fit well and you can always 'tuck' it a bit if you're worried - you using gas to heat it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, amberfiend said:

but i could get the temp right up them drop the flame down before introducing the bag

That kinda set off a little bell.

You're talking about the mash at this point, right? Because what most people do is get the water to temp, drop in the grains and turn the heat off. Usually they sit it in an oven, pre-warmed to a low temp to try and keep the mash at the preferred temp.

If you are thinking of keeping the gas on you may have issues with mash temps.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

That kinda set off a little bell.

You're talking about the mash at this point, right? Because what most people do is get the water to temp, drop in the grains and turn the heat off. Usually they sit it in an oven, pre-warmed to a low temp to try and keep the mash at the preferred temp.

If you are thinking of keeping the gas on you may have issues with mash temps.

im only basing what i know at this point from various youtube videos of people throwing their grains,oats etc into strainer bags, boiling them up to a certain temp, time frame then taking them of the cooker and place them offside to steep for a while beyond that, usually with some kind of insulator wrapped around their pots to retain temps etc

20 minutes ago, amberfiend said:

im only basing what i know at this point from various youtube videos of people throwing their grains,oats etc into strainer bags, boiling them up to a certain temp

Not boiling.

Mash temps usually range from about 63° to 70°+ - there are reasons to go above or below but it's not usual because it limits which sugars you get - you'd have to look it up but I THINK it's lower than around 67° gives easier conversion sugars and higher ABV but thinner beer and above gives better body but slightly less ABV. I'm no expert on it - I read enough to know that if I mash at 67° it tends to give the best of both worlds. The lower temps (<63°) are not much used these days as the grains are better. But you might use them for some specialty grain mashes.

Boil is a very specific temp - 100° - which is done AFTER you extract the starches - you boil the liquid with starches in it to make them into sugars which the yeast then eats in the FV.

• Like 2