Coopers Community

Hi all I am fairly new to the brewing scene, have completed a larger and ginger beer which was a year or two ago and both turned out ok. I am looking at getting back into my brewing with this whole isolation situation... Just wondering what everybody’s experiences been using fresh fruit in their brew? What type of beer did you brew (larger, blonde, etc), what fruit worked best and at what stage of brewing did you add it? Sorry if this has already been discussed. Cheers 🍻 

On 5/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, Ben 10 said:

I assume you mean a lager?

Wheat beers, saisons and kettle sours all lend themselves very well to fruits.
What are you looking for?

Haha auto correct strikes again! To be honest I am just looking to experiment a little and have tried a few beers from craft breweries that included fruit flavors and were quite nice. I wouldn’t want the fruit taste to Be overpowering, more like an aftertaste, I wouldn’t mind trying raspberry or mango. I do recall trying a raspberry wheat beer now that you mention that. What stage of the process would it be best to add this and would you recommend fresh fruit or a purée? Thanks again

• 2 months later...

Question about an off flavour...

Recently brewed my first all grain, small batch only 10L, cherry chocolate oatmeal stout using frozen cherries added after defrosting and blitzing in blender, then placing all the purée into a Muslin bag and chucking into primary right near end of fermentation. Left in primary for further week then straight into bottle. Used WLP 002 yeast. 
tasted first one at about 2 weeks and it tasted off, sour basically, and little to no carbonation...

any thoughts?? 

cheers crew 

Hi Woodsy.

Finally ran out of carton MOTB beer & had to get brewing again? 😜

Were the frozen cherries you purchased "glace" cherries? If so, this is a possible reason your beer has come up sour.

I made a really nice blueberry/vanilla porter a few years back. When using the fruit I made a "compote" on the stovetop mixing the blueberries with some sugar & breaking them down into what I would describe as a lumpy wort. I then added this to the main malt based wort pre-primary fermentation. The compote procedure also helps to sterilise & kill any micro bugs that may be present on the fruit. The flavour & aroma of the blueberries was very enduring over the 3 odd years I stored & savoured this beer. 

I hope some of what I said helps,

Lusty.

7 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Were the frozen cherries you purchased "glace" cherries?

They not frozen....

I have made a few cherry stouts without issue.

Do you think it is infection of the taste of the cherry?

9 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I made a really nice blueberry/vanilla porter

I think I had one? Berry nice beer

2 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

They not frozen....

My bad. I've not used fruit a lot in my brewing. In an effort to try & explain the sourness I was just reading an article that used two types of cherries & the glace cherry brew produced a more sour outcome of the two.

3 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I have made a few cherry stouts without issue.

How did you add your cherries into the brewing process & what sort etc. were they & in what type of malt grists?

4 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I think I had one? Berry nice beer

Yep I remember sending you one. Even I was surprised how long the blueberry flavour & aroma endured given all the literature sort of tells you not to boil &/or add the fruit at the beginning of primary ferment.

Cheers,

Lusty.

My cherries were just the frozen ones from Woolies so not “glacé”

i’m not sure if after bottling the temp of the room I left them in was a bit too warm... maybe I should have stored them chilled?? 

must admit I was a bit gutted when I tasted it as I was reckoning on it being a decent brew... oh well! Will crack on with the next one.

Lusty... glad you enjoyed the Ale! 👍