Coopers Community

Chux cloths for hop boil

I'm a fan of using chux cloths for dry hopping.

However I'm doing a quick K & K whilst staying at a relatives place and want to do a flameout addition in about 5 ltrs to add some flavour.

I'd normally strain this, however the outlaw's kitchen strainer is filthy dirty and not up to the task.

Is is possible to contain the hops in a chux cloth, toss them in at FO and just remove them prior to transferring the wort to the FV?

• Like 1

I could not see why this should not work.  Just like dry hopping in a way, except hot.  I wonder about dye bleeding out of the Chux.  Although if it was an issue, you would think we could not dry hop with them.  Maybe chuck one in a pot of boiling water.  If no dye comes out, you should be good to go.  Probably just make sure the hops have room to move around in the Chux.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I could not see why this should not work.  Just like dry hopping in a way, except hot.  I wonder about dye bleeding out of the Chux.  Although if it was an issue, you would think we could not dry hop with them.  Maybe chuck one in a pot of boiling water.  If no dye comes out, you should be good to go.  Probably just make sure the hops have room to move around in the Chux.

They go in hot dishes water you would think it would be alright.

11 hours ago, karlos_1984 said:

I'm a fan of using chux cloths for dry hopping.

However I'm doing a quick K & K whilst staying at a relatives place and want to do a flameout addition in about 5 ltrs to add some flavour.

I'd normally strain this, however the outlaw's kitchen strainer is filthy dirty and not up to the task.

Is is possible to contain the hops in a chux cloth, toss them in at FO and just remove them prior to transferring the wort to the FV?

I do it all the time, not just for flameout but also for the boil.