Coopers Community

Flat keg

Marty_G

I have the most bizarre situation. My system is sealed. No leaks. Reg still has CO2 as full and has been since this started. I have a keg where the beer is going flat. I have over the last few days been increasing the pressure to try to increase carbonation and the more I increase it the flatter it goes.  The beer tastes great. It was closed transferred and fermented under pressure so was partly carbonated when transferred and has been in the keg now for about 3 weeks and on tap for one and was pretty much fully carbonated when put on tap.   I am flummoxed. 

It is an AG Kolsch.  I have not changed anything in my setup. Same taps, same glasses washed the same way.  Every thing is the same as what it was when I set up this kegger 9 months ago. The only thing that has changed is I started using StarSan a few weeks ago as a sterilser. Until then I did not used one. I just relied of good practice and sodium perc. However, I am 99% certain it is not that change.  Has anyone got a plausible explanation beyond the beer carbonation and clean glasses 101 stuff.  Also I cleaned my taps and lines about 6 weeks ago and all was good then. 

20200507_180053.jpg

Maybe the keg lid isn't quite seated properly? I had a keg a few years ago that struggled to carbonate, so I loosened the lid and re fit it and it was fine after that. Either that or that gas line is turned off. Nothing else makes sense. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto

1 minute ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Maybe the keg lid isn't quite seated properly? I had a keg a few years ago that struggled to carbonate, so I loosened the lid and re fit it and it was fine after that. Either that or that gas line is turned off. Nothing else makes sense. 

Yep it makes no sense.  Anyway I have just poured my last beer for the night and cranked it up to 40 psi and will leave it like that until tomorrow after noon.  I did have an over carbonated keg next to it as well and maybe in trying to remedy that I have turned my pressure down a couple of PSI too low and it is not keeping enough pressure so the CO2 is coming out of solution.  But still I tuned it up from 10 psi on Monday to 15 on Tuesday and then 20 yesterday and today it was flatter.  I don't get it.  Maybe it is the StarSan maybe my gear is now so clean it needs higher pressure?  As I said I am flummoxed.   

Interested in suggestions here. Couple of days back I posted about 1 keg where the beer needs work to get a head and goes flat fast. It's in the high 7's ABV and someone (Otto I think) suggested high ABV needs more time.

7 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Interested in suggestions here. Couple of days back I posted about 1 keg where the beer needs work to get a head and goes flat fast. It's in the high 7's ABV and someone (Otto I think) suggested high ABV needs more time.

None of my beers are ever over the low 4%.  A thought I did recently get the keg refilled...maybe it is not CO2.... 

7 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

If you pull on the release valve its got heaps of pressure in it?

Yep!  Another explanation is the keg has maybe been filled with Nitro but I doubt that.  Will leave for an other 6 hours at 40psi which will give it nearly 24 hours. Then set at serving pressure and see how they are. I suppose will have to put it down to one of those weird things that i don't know what happened.  This is something new to me so will do some more research. As I say I may have let the pressure slip a bit too low when I had the cover carbed keg and the CO2 has come out of solution and the subsequent pressures I jacked it up to were not enough to fast carb it. That is the only logical explanation.