Coopers Community

Ginger Beer

ben 10

There is some discussion regarding the departed Coopers Ginger thing here so I thought I'd start a thread for recipe discussion.

I have used MJ's puch and it was good, others have not liked it.

Here is Dr. Smurto's

Here is my most commonly brewed GB.

20L batch

1.25 kg ginger (0.75kg fresh and 0.5kg that has been stored in the fridge for >2 months)
2.5 kg raw sugar
1 cinnamon stick
6 cloves (the spice, not garlic.....)
2 lemons
Champagne yeast

Puree the ginger, skin and all. Chop lemon roughly. Boil everything for 30 mins to 1 hour. Cool. Top up to 20L in fermenter. Pitch yeast (and some nutrient if you have some on hand).

Finishes close to 1.000.

This results in a very dry GB with an ABV of ~7%. I often ater it down with lemonade for some added sweetness as I can't stand the idea of artificial sweeteners, they taste horrible. Without artificial sweeteners you can't make sweet GB in a bottle and in a keg it will still ferment albeit slowly.

Other options include using honey or steeping some crystal malt and boiling the resulting liquid.

Hope that helps.

Which I am making today.

IMG_20191119_124333.thumb.jpg.c98b40a05880e435ed8aac48ae641811.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I just put one of these down after reading the other post. The only change I made was using 3 cinnamon sticks, adding 10 small chillis and I had 100g of lactose in the cupboard so I added that as well to hopefully sweeten it a touch.

I'm using Lalvin EC1118 yeast. What's the ideal ferment temp for this? I've set it to 20c.

First time using a champagne yeast and it didn't kick off. SG still at 1.062 so I threw in 2 sachets of lager yeast left over from coopers cans as that's all I had on hand. Fingers crossed it works ok.

It does taste amazing though at the moment although very sweet.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 10:25 AM, Chris75 said:

First time using a champagne yeast and it didn't kick off. SG still at 1.062 so I threw in 2 sachets of lager yeast left over from coopers cans as that's all I had on hand. Fingers crossed it works ok.

It does taste amazing though at the moment although very sweet.

OK, I'm stumped. Even with the lager yeast this still hasn't kicked off.

I put a dessert spoon of yeast nutrient in when I pitched the first yeast.

Any ideas?

Just bottled my ginger beer, loosely based on wychwoods ginger beard.

15 liters batch/ 9 liter boil/ og 1.041 fg 1.010 +0.5% primmer 4.57%abv

Base: 1.5 kg cws briess pilsner malt

Fermentables :250gs of dark brown sugar. 

Grains: 250g's of caramunich 2 malt grain.

100g's of honey malt grain.

50gs of biscuit malt grain. 

Spices : 500gs of frozen ginger (peeled prior to freezing)

2 -3 heaped teaspoons of dry ginger extract. 

2 heaped teaspoons of cayenne pepper. 

yeast: fermentis US04

Fermented for 10days & cold  crashed for 1 just to drop out ginger.

preliminary tastings suggest this won't be as sweet or hot as i'd hoped for, but it has an amazing scented smell of honey and fresh ginger about it. Bring on Christmas! 

On 11/25/2019 at 5:40 PM, Ben 10 said:

Mine is 1020... tastes great and still going.

Mine is down to 1016 now. I hope it settles out when it's done though as it is completely opaque with at the moment.

On 11/25/2019 at 4:50 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah it doesn't start fermenting as soon as you pitch it, there is a lag time. 24 hours is pretty normal. 

Perhaps it kicked off the champagne yeast, there's no way any beer yeast would drop it 32 points in a day. 

Yeah I thought it dropped pretty quick. I've just bumped up the temp from 13c to 20c bumped as per the quick lager method. I need to bottle it before next wed So i need to hurry it along and get it cold crashing.

Ok. So it's now down to 0.998. I'll check again tomorrow and hopefully it's stable, which I expect it to be, then I can cold crash for a day before I bottle.

Not Ideal but i don't really want to leave it for 2 weeks while I'm away.

This is going to end up close to 9% bottled.

Well I bottled this today after reaching a FG of 0.996.

Out of 20 L I only managed to bottle about 15 or so due to the amount of solids in the fermenter. I'm guessing this is why the ABV has ended up so high.

I bulk primed allowing for 19L@5.5g/L so it will probably end up over carbed.

If this actually ends up tasting OK I'd like to try it again but strain out the solids after the boil. Would this work or would I lose too much of flavour?

• Like 1