Coopers Community

Ginger Beer

ben 10

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2019 at 5:03 AM, Jumping jack flash said:

Screenshot_2019-12-10-07-51-13.thumb.png.4ace0c209b83d79a44a7f5807395fed0.png                               At last a ginger beer recipe!!! Can't wait to get cracking on brewing this one up!

I bought online and I've bottled it the other day.  Forgot to give it a swig to see where it was.  I didn't think the ginger was very prominent though. 

I will let you guys know how it turns out in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've placed a ginger beer, based on the receive at the start of this thread.  I did add some extra herbs, not a lot though.  It's been down for 7 days today, gone from 1.052 to 1.35 on Thursday and today just checked it's 1.030, still after seven days.  I have no problems letting it ferment further but I gathered from the recipes i've read it would take 5 days plus a few days and many in the thread mention it get's close to 1.000 SG.  There is quite a bit of solids there but the ginger was pureed and boiled for 45 minutes.  Interested your thoughts.

3 hours ago, Anthony999 said:

There is quite a bit of solids there but the ginger was pureed and boiled for 45 minutes.  I

I did not put the solids in my FV, do you have another you can siphon into?

What temperature is it at?????

29 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I did not put the solids in my FV, do you have another you can siphon into?

What temperature is it at?????

Ahh, so didn’t put the purée in? I put the purée with 2 sticks of cinnamon, some cloves, and 2 lemons halves and an one half orange. They were the only solids.

temp is at 19 degrees with 0.5 degree differential 

On 3/21/2020 at 1:34 PM, Ben 10 said:

The second one I made did not have puree.

Raise the temp.

I see what you mean about the solids. Needed to pay attention to that for the next brew.  Still going.....slowly for last 4 days at 1.015.  So it should get to 1.000?

On 3/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, Ben 10 said:

should get low/////

Got there finally.  It's 0.999 now. Cold crashing it now.  It's at 6 degrees and the solids has dropped but it's still alot.  The solids I think will have an impact on the bottling side.  What could be done?  Should I try and remove it or what should I do? Just worried about contamination or if I try and remove it.

• 4 months later...

So I sampled a Ginger Beer called Rusty Yak the other day and feel in love with the stuff.  In an attempt to make a brew of similar flavors I thought i would start with a Dry Malt Extract, steep it with nearly a kilo of fresh ginger an added some other spices (cardamom, cinnamon, Star Anise, Pepper, Orange Zest). Made up 10l and pitched a high performance ale yeast.   It started to ferment straight away and once it starts to slow ill dry hop a cascade.  Then will either mix in a sweetener before bottling or add it when we drink.  Trial and error, Im not expecting this to be a winner but I did manage to make a Ginger and Molasses cake with the ginger slurry!   

• 2 weeks later...

Close to 20 years ago I tried some home-brewed ginger beer at a mate's place and it was superb - best way I can describe it is it was like a ginger flavoured beer, and went down very well. Every commercially brewed ginger beer I have tried since them has always disappointed - always tasting more like a soft drink style of ginger beer, too sweet and too heavily carbonated as well.

Anyway, I never got round to asking my mate about how he brewed that ginger beer and unfortunately we fallen out of touch since then. I am only just starting out in home brewing, but one of the things I would like to put down on my to-brew list (geddit?) is a decent ginger beer that is similar to what I drank at my mates place all those years ago

Can anyone recommend a recipe that results in a ginger beer, rather than a ginger-flavoured soft drink? And if there is no such thing feel free to tell me so, perhaps it's just my memory playing tricks on me... 😅

Edited by lickedthestamp

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 9:10 PM, lickedthestamp said:

Close to 20 years ago I tried some home-brewed ginger beer at a mate's place and it was superb - best way I can describe it is it was like a ginger flavoured beer, and went down very well. Every commercially brewed ginger beer I have tried since them has always disappointed - always tasting more like a soft drink style of ginger beer, too sweet and too heavily carbonated as well.

Anyway, I never got round to asking my mate about how he brewed that ginger beer and unfortunately we fallen out of touch since then. I am only just starting out in home brewing, but one of the things I would like to put down on my to-brew list (geddit?) is a decent ginger beer that is similar to what I drank at my mates place all those years ago

Can anyone recommend a recipe that results in a ginger beer, rather than a ginger-flavoured soft drink? And if there is no such thing feel free to tell me so, perhaps it's just my memory playing tricks on me... 😅

My favourite ginger beer from the shops is the Kirks Stoney as it gives you a cough at the back of the throat and I've made a few different home brew alcoholic ginger beers trying to match this. The closest I've found is the Colony West Ginger Beer. I give it a 8/10 on it's own, 9/10 when you add ice and lime, 10/10 when you add ice, lime and a shot or two of Stones Green Ginger wine.. I love it!

• 3 weeks later...

I brewed this to just 5 litres and I used one of my spare 5L kegs as a fermenter and just some ale yeast off a coopers can i had in the fridge. Fermented out pretty quickly, was down to .995 in 5 days, kept the pressure at 20-25psi. Tasted a sample every day it was so delicious. I loaded it up with some home grown chilli. I just transferred it to another keg to chill and serve out of. Brewing up another batch as we speak. Now my question is, if I wanted fermentation to stop, what would be my best way to go about it? I can't really pasteurise a keg. I was thinking of just chilling it, but i am not too sure if that would neutralise the yeast. The ginger beer I brewed taste really good, but it tasted REALLY REALLY good at around 1015. Will be tasting the chilled beer tomorrow. I just can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

HOW MUCH POWDERED GINGER?

I've given my son a spare fermenter to brew ginger beer. When I first got back into brewing 12 years ago I started with alcoholic ginger beer using powdered ginger and it turned out great. Being bottled it was dry as, but sweetened up in the glass great with a shot of Bickfords ginger cordial.

Since then I've absolutely forgotten how much ginger powder I used to use - any hints from members who have used it? I bought 200g from the local bulk foods place for around $5 as opposed to fresh ginger that costs about the same as unicorn tears nowadays.

It will be a 20 litre brew and simply dex, ginger, yeast nutrient and an ale yeast - probably just the coopers off the top of tins.