Coopers Community

Keeping the right temp

jamiea83

36 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Could be worse. We've had a cosy 36 here in Brisbane, while the in-laws in Tassie sat at 8 with rain. Tasmania is either cold or on fire. 🙂 

As it happens a few days after I wrote that it was 26ºC... will probably be 18ºC tomorrow! 

1 hour ago, jamiea83 said:

Thanks for that, they are ferm but some are clear and some are still cloudy, should this be right?

Try a clear one if you are keen (I would) but give them more time. they'll clear up.

Edited by Aussiekraut

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

Try a clear one if you are keen (I would) but give them more time. they'll clear up.

So i have 2 that are cloudy and 4 that are soft to touch. But the rest are firm and clear. I have gotten one to try and see how its going.

Just now, jamiea83 said:

So i have 2 that are cloudy and 4 that are soft to touch. But the rest are firm and clear. I have gotten one to try and see how its going.

Odd that some are firm, others still soft. See how they go mate. I've had beers that took more than 4 weeks to carbonate properly.

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Give them another week or two, they should be right by then. You could try one now if you wanted to though, it would have some carbonation, maybe fully carbonated given the recent weather.

Thanks i just tried one and it was ok. Not to much carbonation but i think i didnt have the lid tight enough. Ill leave them for 1 more week and see how they go. One thing i did find want a little bit of white powdery stuff at the bottom of the bottle.

23 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That would be yeast sediment and is normal in bottle conditioned beers. It ferments the priming sugar then drops out to the bottom. 

Ok that explains it. Ill leave them 1 more week and try them

Just started my first brew straight out of the box yesterday and this thread has been really helpful although I’m a little concerned that my efforts to place my tub in a stable temp might not be good enough now. At least I know better for next time.

has anyone got any feedback on the stick on thermometer that comes in the diy kit? I find it hard to read what the temp actually is. Sounds like everyone is using digital ..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Those of us with fridges are using digital (the temperature controller). With those stick on things you read it as the middle number that's highlighted, so if it shows 20, 22 and 24 then it's something around 22.

Thanks! Hopefully I’ll be looking back on this thread in a few months for the specs of those temp controllers. 

8 hours ago, SHunt said:

Just started my first brew straight out of the box yesterday and this thread has been really helpful although I’m a little concerned that my efforts to place my tub in a stable temp might not be good enough now. At least I know better for next time.

has anyone got any feedback on the stick on thermometer that comes in the diy kit? I find it hard to read what the temp actually is. Sounds like everyone is using digital ..

Hi with my first one i did find it hard with the temp gauge on the side. When i bottled it i took the temp and the one on the side was out by 2 dec. I have done my first brew and has gone ok. I have just under a week to see if it went well. 

I will be getting a fridge and the inkbird (temp controler) as i did find it really hard to keep the same temp the whole time.

On 11/10/2019 at 6:37 PM, jamiea83 said:

Hi with my first one i did find it hard with the temp gauge on the side. When i bottled it i took the temp and the one on the side was out by 2 dec. I have done my first brew and has gone ok. I have just under a week to see if it went well. 

I will be getting a fridge and the inkbird (temp controler) as i did find it really hard to keep the same temp the whole time.

How’d you go mate? Did the first batch turn out ok. I’m where you were last week wondering if mine is ready to bottle. Measuring the gravity is difficult when the samples are so fizzy! My temp appears to have stayed at 22 in a spot under the stairs so hopefully that is ok.

keen to hear how yours went. Agree with your previous comment it smells and tastes like a fruity beer..

8 minutes ago, SHunt said:

How’d you go mate? Did the first batch turn out ok. I’m where you were last week wondering if mine is ready to bottle. Measuring the gravity is difficult when the samples are so fizzy! My temp appears to have stayed at 22 in a spot under the stairs so hopefully that is ok.

keen to hear how yours went. Agree with your previous comment it smells and tastes like a fruity beer..

It turned out well. I had a few that were flat so just make sure the lids are done up really tight. I let it sit for 2 weeks after bottling at that worked a treat.

It does have a fruity taste and goes down really well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jamiea83 said:

It turned out well. I had a few that were flat so just make sure the lids are done up really tight. I let it sit for 2 weeks after bottling at that worked a treat.

It does have a fruity taste and goes down really well. 

Sweet sounds good- I’ll cap em up tight... did u sterilize your bottles out of the pack before filling?