Coopers Community

Hop Slam IPA (NZ-Motueka)

Hi Everyone

I am looking at the recipe below, and seeing that I have all the ingredients, I thought I could give it a go.  

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/hop-slam-ipa-nz-motueka.html

The only difference is that I want to use the Safale US-05 yeast.  In the current recipe above, it says that you should put the hops in immediately after stirring in the yeast.  On other recipes that use the Safale US-05, it mentions that you should add the hops at around day 6-7.  Since I want to use the US-05 yeast, could I still follow the recipe and put the hops in immediately after stirring in the yeast?

Also, do the amount of hops affect the bitterness? Or is it the amount of time you boil the hops that affects that?

Thank you for your comments.

Gerhard

I would wait until the fermentation is almost done and then dry hop or wait until it is complete, so yeah between day 4-7 I would dry hop. I think that recipe is an older coopers one that they tried to make easier for new brewers so they said to just chuck the dry hop in when you pitch the yeast. You can follow the recipe but you will lose the full aromatics the dry hop will bring by adding it before fermentation has begun.

32 minutes ago, Gerhard vdW said:

Also, do the amount of hops affect the bitterness? Or is it the amount of time you boil the hops that affects that?

This question is going to open up a can of worms, but I notice increased bitterness or whatever you want to call it from Dry hopping, especially a large amount, but not too much with smaller amounts, 50g and below. Some say it is astringency and not bitterness but the flavour does change. Most bitterness comes from adding hops to boiling or just boiled wort/water and the time it is boiled does effect the bitterness exponentially more than dry hopping ever would.

The longer the boil the more bitterness you will extract, to a certain degree, while the more hops you add will also affect it. You can play with getting all the bitterness from short boiling, but that increases the amount of hops needed but can also increase the aroma and flavour extracted.

Good luck with the brew, motueka is a nice hop.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Good luck with the brew, motueka is a nice hop.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely then wait until at least day 4 until I add the hops pellets.

I will add the hops first in a hop bag and then chuck it in.  Will the hop particles eventually go and settle at the bottom?  or will this end up in my beer when I am bottling?

I assume should sanitize my hop bags before adding to the wort?

• Like 1

Yes they will along with the yeast and even more so if you chill the beer for a few days or when the beer is chilled in the bottle in the fridge. Encase you are not aware, you have to pour homebrew or bottle conditioned beer differently or the yeast and stuff goes Into the glass.

Yes sanitise everything that comes into contact with the beer.

Good brewing

Norris

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone, I finally have the time to brew the HOP SLAM IPA (NZ-MOTUEKA) tomorrow.  The link to the recipe is in my original post.  The recipe suggest dry hopping but I have now bought all the equipment to be able to boil the hops instead.  

Do I boil the hops with the Dry malt extract or with the IPA beer kit? If someone has some advice on the best way to boil the hops. Or if you think I should boil the one 25g pack and dry hop the other 25g pack. 

Any advice will be appreciated. 

16 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Except follow @Norris!'s advice in the second post above, with respect to the dry hopping.

Hi Shamus, OK great, so basically I should wait until the fermentation has completed before adding the hops. How long will I then leave the hops in my fermenting vessel before bottling? 

+1 to what Popo said. Tying them in a Chux cloth pulled straight from the pack is a good way to contain the hops and is easy to fish out after the 2-3 days.  I use non-powdered food handling gloves sprayed with sanitiser to fish them out and give the Chux a quick squeeze to get some extra hoppy goodness out.

On 10/17/2019 at 7:37 PM, Norris! said:

Yes sanitise everything that comes into contact with the beer.

Good brewing

Norris

I sanitise also everything that comes in contact with anything that comes in contact with my brew. i.e. I spray the surface I'm working on and anything I'll be toughing like fridge handles etc. 😄

When in doubt, sanitise it! 😄 

• Haha 2