Coopers Community

New Release: Two Suns Lager

Beerlust

Hi guys.

Asahi Beverages have just released a new collaboration brewed beer that you will see all over the place soon called Two Suns lager. From the inside information I have, it is a collaboration brew between one of the brewers behind "Great Northern" & a Japanese brewer involved with the Asahi beer brand. The yeast used is apparently the Asahi yeast, but malt aspects appear to be a blend of sorts with hopping being Australian based.

I tasted a sampler today & at 4.2% ABV it tasted like a lighter version of Crown Lager with a light summer-like hue to it (to me) & very clean without any noticeable "dry" aspects normally associated with typical lower carb beers.

Asahi will be pouring a huge amount of advertising & promotional support behind this new beer initially, & given Asahi Beverages recently purchased Carlton & United breweries, I'd expect this beer in the coming years to be a major player in the newly developed BS beer category of the "modern contemporary" beer market.

Not a beer style I gravitate to, but if at a party or get-to-gether, & this was among the usual megaswill varieties, I'd drink this above them.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

Lusty,

Great write up, thanks.

Lucky the did not call it two moons lager? I doubt I will give it a whirl.

Correct this mob has picked up a few of Anheuser-Busch InBev labels including CUB. The Beer industry is held by a few huge multi nationals.

Consequently I like backing the local guys with great beer. Coopers for example.

Cheers YB

Corona look a like bottle? Tick.

"Premium" branding? Tick.

Low carb? Tick.

Low bitterness, Dry? Tick.

Australian linkage to flog it? Tick.

Released into the "easy Drinking" (punter will drink any over-marketed shite) category? Tick.

I remain unexcited.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

@Beerlust you lost me at lager. Or Hi........

Whatever it was, I won’t be drinking it

Haha!

For a guy who doesn't drink lagers, you sure have a lot to say about them! 🤣

The trouble with lagers is they have always been defined by the mass produced versions.

I'll change your mind about what can be done with them once I get my levels right with the one I'm working on intermittently.

All I know is I'm getting special Captain specific T-shirts printed when I do! 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

I honestly look forward to the day you could possibly prove me wrong 

It's really not about being wrong or right. We both like similar types of beers, particularly the hoppy types. For me it is about imposing hoppy character & bitterness through a lager yeast fermented beer. So far through the 4 (I think? 🤔) versions of this beer I've brewed so far, it has been a terrific learning curve, & I am really enjoying the challenges to produce the final beer to the level I'm looking for using the lager yeast strain to ferment it. It's a very different malt & hop approach to what I would do with a clean ale strain to achieve similar hopping levels, & a shift in malt varieties to reach enjoyable malt flavour & head retention etc.

My next attempt will be to create a more noticeable bitterness in the beer, as the flavours are already getting closer with my current structures. Tweak, tweak, tweak.

The "Grail" beer I've spoken previously of, revolving around this recipe construct is the first one that has fascinated me & tested me for quite a few years.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey Lusty, 

As you know I’ve always been interested in this grail beer of yours and when it’s ready I’ll be the first to put my hand up and ask for a taste. 

It sounds interesting mate. 

We are similar in some aspects Lusty, I’m about as vocal about Lagers as you are about Magnum. Ha ha ha 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

We are similar in some aspects Lusty, I’m about as vocal about Lagers as you are about Magnum. Ha ha ha 

Really funny you say that, I was seriously thinking the same thing. 🤣

Well said. 👍

I think my next variation is gonna have either some Bravo or Mt. Hood for bittering. I'm leaning toward Mt. Hood based purely on the weight required to bitter sufficiently & the oil carryover by that extra weight, but I'll have to look at the numbers between the two on that.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty