Coopers Community

Starsan residue ok?

RepSpec

Hey guys

So after reading on here, decided to change up my way of cleaning and sanitising.

I now use sodium percarbonate to clean everything (FV, equipment and bottles), then give everything a spray with Starsan before use (FV, equipment)

I carried it out fine, but when i went to do the bottles (PET) i sprayed a small amount inside them, put the lids on, gave a shake so the bottle was covered inside, then let sit until i had done the 30 i needed. I then uncapped and let drain on a bottling tree (coopers one)

However, when i shook the bottles, they foamed up quite a lot and resulted in a residue left inside the bottles. It was only in the bottles that really bubbled/foamed up when shaken.

I left it for a couple of hours, but it didnt go away, so i then rinsed the bottles in warm water and let dry before bottling.

Is this common?

Is it something to worry about?

Am i just mixing too much so it foams?

Do i need to sanitise them at all?

Star San is "foamy".  You don't have to worry about it.  Follow the mixing instruction on the container and it will be correct.  You only need a small amount. 

I mix it in a bucket with a lid and it lasts a couple of weeks or more. I bought a PH meter and check the mix after about a week to ensure it is still OK.

Do need you to sanitise them at all.  Yes you do,  you can't over clean or sanitise.  I put each of the bottles on the tree straight after sanitising to drain, leave them to drain overnight and bottle the next day. 

So the last thing to do before bottling is sanitising not rewashing.

Also having a spray bottle filled with Star San mixture I regard as essential.

• Like 1

Similar to Respec I have just converted from pink neo to sodium perc and starsan after following this forum. I just cant help myself but rinse the starsan. I think its the foam I need to get rid of. So I can just use the starsan, don't rinse it off and start filling bottle or fermenter?

5 minutes ago, Detroit D said:

Similar to Respec I have just converted from pink neo to sodium perc and starsan after following this forum. I just cant help myself but rinse the starsan. I think its the foam I need to get rid of. So I can just use the starsan, don't rinse it off and start filling bottle or fermenter?

Starsan or Stellasan are no rinse sanitiser. Meaning they are literally designed to not be rinsed. 

Using them is very simple. Coat all areas to be sanitised with Starsan, tip out the excess and fill. No rinse needed. 

It is completely tasteless and will not effect the beer. I also believe the yeast eat the acid (not 100% sure on this, I thought I read it somewhere). 

Either way it will be not a problem. My last keg I put a litre of Starsan in and shook the shit out of it. After I tipped out the excess literally half the keg was full of foam. I filled it up and the excess foam came out the top, the rest stayed in and the lid went on. That beer is on tap now and tastes brilliant 🙂

Mitch. 

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1