Coopers Community

Water

RoyG

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone tried brewing with bore water? i'm going to be moving out bush soon and have the choice between tank and bore' date=' i imagine bore water being cleaner than tank.[/quote']

Are you doing full boils? Id assume you will probably want to filter either way, maybe RO?

Is this something I should be concerned about' date=' and should I be doing anything to change the pH? [/quote']

Yes, but really only if you are mashing (and then depending on if it's a light or dark beer), I never worried about it for Kits/extract, but do add a yeast nutrient like DAP either way!!

Hey Gang,

Check out this Linky. It is a study one brewer is doing with different types of water and their effects on extract brewing. His theory is that if using extracts then the water profile used at the brewering to make the DME, LME, etc. already has impacted the product. So, if you were to use water rich in "X" minerals then these would be compounded in your homebrew lending to astringent or bitter tastes.

Something to consider.[whistling

doesnt matter, calcium should be added.

Minimum 50ppm

Particular to Melbourne, have a read of the doc linked HERE

[rightful]

My literature state that "a good level for most ales and lagers to be around 100mg/l. Too much will create a harsh, bitter taste.

It also states that this be the most important "permanent hardness" element. It helps lower the pH to the optimum range of 5.0-5.5 and helps the precipitation of protien("the break") during the boiling process.

Sound important to me.[unsure] Remembering that great tasting water does not always make great beer.

My literature state that "a good level for most ales and lagers to be around 100mg/l.

...and Melbourne's Water does not have that, hence my statement about it being required as an additive. Usually Calcium Sulphate for most of my brews (and a bit of acidulted malt)

have a look at the Calcium content in the PDF linked HERE (Same topic but different post to that I linked above) for Melbourne Calcium Levels

The Doc by Tony Wheeler has dosage reccomendations for those MASH brewing in Melbourne... all of this info relates to Mashing, not extracts / Kits.

I live in Melbourne' date=' so I'd have to be crazy not to use tap water, since we have close to the best drinking water in the world.[/quote']

Yep Melbourne is close to the best water in the world... as close a land mass to Tassie than anywhere else [whistling

Have brewed a version of an all-grain recipe (Caroline's Fine Ale) using just tap water in Adelaide (Salisbury Downs), Melbourne (Hoppers Crossing), Hobart (Glenorchy) and now back in Adelaide (inner suburb).

Gotta say, I couldn't pick any noticable difference between them. [biggrin]

Yes, but really only if you are mashing (and then depending on if it's a light or dark beer)

[lol] I am mashing now, I have moved into all grain in the last month or so. I'll have to go back to John Palmer's site and find out what the suggested additive is to bring it down. I did read the entire site but I can't remember what it was.[bandit]

suggested additive is to bring it down.

I get the stabiliser from Craftbrewer Kelsey, easy peasy, also whilst your there get some Litmus papers to test your water.....infact whilst your in there also get some.....and some.....$$$$$$$$

Pretty sure Adelaide has the worst tasting tap water ever' date=' sorry Paul [bandit'], closely followed by Perth.

Yet the Aussie beers I drink consistently are from those 2 cities (Freo counts as Perth, right)...

Melbourne water is nice, but we end up with Vitamin B [sick]

You were right about Adelaide water being horrible. I remember a TV show I saw back in the early eighties that displayed the tap water quality from each of the major capital cities in Australia. Indeed Adelaide had the worst. [sick]

Times have changed though with the advent of new technologies, techniques & treatment plants. Anyways, as soon as you boil any liquid for a reasonable amount of time, any impurities it originally contained will be steamed off.

Go the "Crow-Eaters"! [biggrin]

Beer.

You were right about Adelaide water being horrible. I remember a TV show I saw back in the early eighties that displayed the tap water quality from each of the major capital cities in Australia. Indeed Adelaide had the worst. [sick]

AFL teams from Vic take their own water with them when they play in Adelaide

find out what the suggested additive is to bring it down.

Citric Acid (a little does ALOT)will lower the PH of the mash as will acidulated malt, but I'm thinking that coz I've got HERMS I may as well start doing a small Acid rest (35.6.c - 40'c) just dont know how long for with my 'house' grist (mostly Pale Malts). My investigation into this is ongoing [lol]

[ninja]

That's handy to know. I actually have some citric acid, I use it to clean the boil scale off the element in my urn, just chuck a bit in with a small amount of water and boil it for a few mins and it comes right off. I'll have to experiment, and see if there's any noticeable difference in taste with or without changing the pH. My last recipe contained 5.4kg of grain for a 26L batch, I got a post boil SG of 1050. Not sure if that's low or high based on the ingredients though. [lol]

Citric Acid (a little does ALOT)will lower the PH of the mash as will acidulated malt' date=' but I'm thinking that coz I've got HERMS I may as well start doing a small Acid rest (35.6.c - 40'c) just dont know how long for with my 'house' grist (mostly Pale Malts). My investigation into this is ongoing [lol']

That paragraph really sums things up for me. It really shows the 'Gap' between me being a reasonable quality brewer, & being a high quality brewer.

I have NFI what Yob was talking about at all. He may as well have been speaking Chinese! [lol]

...anyways, back to the books! (IMA find out WTF "HERMS" is!!) [tongue]

Beer.

Archived