Coopers Community

Water

RoyG

I am just glad that there is water in beer, and home brewing makes you realise how much. You know you have drink something like 3 litres of water a day...eh!

PS

You could be an honoury queenslander Chad. We often finish a sentence with the word "Hey"

Or West Australian, I lived there for two years at the end of the ... and the two biggest words that stood out to me were "eh" and "bloke". Conversation would go " How ya goin Bloke? Nice day eh!"

PPSCoopers may need "Eh" smiley, just for Chad

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am just glad that there is water in beer' date=' and home brewing makes you realise how much. You know you have drink something like 3 litres of water a day...eh![/quote']

Yep, i got that covered Scotty

Hiya Nick.

A lifetime before that when i lived in Victoria, it was common to end a sentence with "but" As in "those canadians are great at ice hockey, they cant play cricket but"

I never did work that one one out

The reason they add "but" on the end of their sentences is to create a pause for the person they are speaking to, while their own brain catches up to what they just said, so they can continue the conversation. [lol]

I knew a few guys like that growing up here in SA. I think they were Victorians that had snuck across the border into SA. [tongue]

SA's border protection is something to behold though. It's like, "Have you got Fruit Fly on ya?"...."No.",...."Well come on in." [biggrin]

Beer.

Hiya Nick.

A lifetime before that when i lived in Victoria, it was common to end a sentence with "but" As in "those canadians are great at ice hockey, they cant play cricket but"

I never did work that one one out

The reason they add "but" on the end of their sentences is to create a pause for the person they are speaking to, while their own brain catches up to what they just said, so they can continue the conversation. [lol]

I knew a few guys like that growing up here in SA. I think they were Victorians that had snuck across the border into SA. [tongue]

SA's border protection is something to behold though. It's like, "Have you got Fruit Fly on ya?"...."No.",...."Well come on in." [biggrin]

Beer.

i am lucky enough to have lived in a few different places and have always smiled at freindly interstate rivalry and insults, but up here in gods own, we have my particular favourite, apologies in advance Yob,

"you can tell a victorian, but you cant tell him much"

My ex father in law from Victoria always had a good comeback, he used to come up to QLD at xmas and say

"Up ere, i gotta turn me watch back an hour and me brain back ten years"

anyone else got some lighthearted interstate insults worth sharing

Haha Nick. [lol]

My all time Fav one is again one towards the VIC's.

"There are Australians, and then there are Victorians". [biggrin]

It just stems from them wanting to do things differently than the rest of the country.

I've always sort of compared Victorians to my grade 4 music class. There was always a kid towards the rear of the room that was handed the chime bars & would be constantly hitting them out of sync with everyone else! [lol] [sideways] [tongue] [biggrin]

Beer.

Haha Nick. [lol]

My all time Fav one is again one towards the VIC's.

"There are Australians, and then there are Victorians". [biggrin]

It just stems from them wanting to do things differently than the rest of the country.

I've always sort of compared Victorians to my grade 4 music class. There was always a kid towards the rear of the room that was handed the chime bars & would be constantly hitting them out of sync with everyone else! [lol] [sideways] [tongue] [biggrin]

Beer.

Meanwhile, the Queenslander is swinging manfully at the Triangle but missing it completely.

Hey Gang,

Check out this Linky. It is a study one brewer is doing with different types of water and their effects on extract brewing. His theory is that if using extracts then the water profile used at the brewering to make the DME, LME, etc. already has impacted the product. So, if you were to use water rich in "X" minerals then these would be compounded in your homebrew lending to astringent or bitter tastes.

Something to consider.[whistling

Hey All,

I was wondering if any of you folks had a chance to read any of the link I posted earlier. I am interested in knowing your thoughts on this brewer theories on water and extract brewing.

Come on, lets get back to the topic of the "4 ingredient" It really is as important to discuss as the other three. It could very well be the difference between your beer tasting like homebrew" and something prehaps better, eh!

I can't really comment on it as I haven't experienced harsh bitterness or astringency in my extract brews.

My local water has the following:

Sodium - 15 mg/L

Sulfate - 9 mg/L

I think 1 mg/L is the same as 1 ppm so it is fairly low.

But I agree that water is a main ingredient of beer and it makes sense that the components of that water will affect the beer somehow.

Archived