Coopers Community

First kegging

Marty_G

I have been making my son-in-law brews. It has been for 2 reasons to get him to drink good beer and to save him money as $100+ a fortnight for beers when you have a young family and a mortgage can go a long way when you are doing a few odd jobs around the yard. Anyway he loved my beer so much the money he saved he put into making a Kegerator. He has never brewed so I made his 1st batch for the keg. A Stout made from Cooper Stout, US05 which is now about 7 or 8th generation,  400g Golden Syrup, 500 g BE3, 500g LDM and 30g fuggles hop tea brewed at 19.5 and cold crashed for 5 days. Well we christened his new kegger yesterday and boy was that stuff good.  He said "home brewing is such a great hobby"  and he is still to make a brew. I have an English bitter in the FV for him right now for the new keg he just ordered and he was chatting to me today about what he should get done next.   But I digress, kegged HB should does taste great. It will still be a while before I switch if at all. I have 32 doz stubbies aging.  The only thing that would stop me from kegging is I love having a wide range to choose from I have APA, IPA, English Bitter, Stout, Dark Ale, Pils, Australian and European Lager and a rice beer and a cider in the beer fridge at any one time. Don't think I could do that with kegs.  

• Like 1

You could do it if you had room for a chest freezer big enough to house 9 or 10 kegs. I picked up some bottles from a guy at Banyo once who had a keezer like that with 8 or 9 taps on it, all different styles. He also had about 6 fermenters going as well. 

Unless we get rid of the pool and put a shed in its place, it's not something I'll be doing. I like my bar setup anyway. 

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You could do it if you had room for a chest freezer big enough to house 9 or 10 kegs

If I do go to kegging or more like when I do ... room is not an issue so I see maybe 4 taps ... 2 ales, a lager and a cider... the rest can be in stubbies and probably another 2 kegs in the kegger ageing ... would need a lager in reserve doing the stuff that lagering does ...   I will probably get the stuff together over time and do the coffin top etc myself .... and the ellipsis back by public demand ... 

• Like 2