Coopers Community

sterilising metal caps

Geenz

I’ve never sterilised mine I just make sure I handle the outside of the cap with clean hands and if I drop one I don’t use it. I also keep them in the packet till I use them and never had a problem.

• Thanks 1

When bottling I make up 1L of Starsan solution for using in my vinator (push bottles down on squirty uppie thingie).  Before pouring the solution into the vinator, I drop my new caps into the Starsan then fish out and leave, tops down, on paper towel ready for capping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

When bottling I make up 1L of Starsan solution for using in my vinator (push bottles down on squirty uppie thingie).  Before pouring the solution into the vinator, I drop my new caps into the Starsan then fish out and leave, tops down, on paper towel ready for capping.

On a side note the people that use sanitiser do your caps ever go rusty as I notice that when I have left bottles with caps in the esky have gone a little rusty or do they not because of what’s in starsan just interested? It obviously wouldn’t effect the beer as there is the plastic film/seal on the inside of the cap🍻

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

On a side note the people that use sanitiser do your caps ever go rusty as I notice that when I have left bottles with caps in the esky have gone a little rusty or do they not because of what’s in starsan just interested? It obviously wouldn’t effect the beer as there is the plastic film/seal on the inside of the cap🍻

Hi RDT2, I have never noticed rust on my caps.  Maybe I drink the bottles before it gets a chance to take hold.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi RDT2, I have never noticed rust on my caps.  Maybe I drink the bottles before it gets a chance to take hold.

Cheers I probably answered my own question just waiting for a scientist to confirm that starsan maybe stops it from rusting because when I bought my stainless pot it said to treat it with something similar to starsan  to stop corrosion etc.

6 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Cheers I probably answered my own question just waiting for a scientist to confirm that starsan maybe stops it from rusting because when I bought my stainless pot it said to treat it with something similar to starsan  to stop corrosion etc.

I'm definitely no scientist.  But, I have read or heard something similar about stainless steel too.  Not sure it was sanitiser though (but it might have been).  It sounded like something you could do with an old stainless pot, to take it back to non-stainless steel, then treat it to reactivate the stainless.

Stainless steel has a chromium oxide layer on its surface, which protects the steel underneath and prevents it rusting. Nitric acid baths are usually used to create this layer in a process called passivation; once the metal is removed from the bath, the oxygen in the atmosphere helps form the layer. If the layer gets damaged by scouring or chlorine*, the process is done again to restore it and remove the rust. Oxalic acid is usually used in home situations like brewing equipment. The link below explains it more.

Dipping crown seals in sanitiser may have a similar effect, since they're made of steel. 

*This is why bleach shouldn't be used to clean stainless.

https://www.theruststore.com/What-is-stainless-steel-passivation-W85.aspx

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Stainless steel has a chromium oxide layer on its surface, which protects the steel underneath and prevents it rusting. Nitric acid baths are usually used to create this layer in a process called passivation; once the metal is removed from the bath, the oxygen in the atmosphere helps form the layer. If the layer gets damaged by scouring or chlorine*, the process is done again to restore it and remove the rust. Oxalic acid is usually used in home situations like brewing equipment. The link below explains it more.

Dipping crown seals in sanitiser may have a similar effect, since they're made of steel. 

*This is why bleach shouldn't be used to clean stainless.

https://www.theruststore.com/What-is-stainless-steel-passivation-W85.aspx

Cheers that’s what I was thinking just not with all the fancy words 🤣 and should probably do my pot again soon cheers again👍