Coopers Community

lallemand nottingham dry yeast

EWildcat7

Anyone got experience with Nottingham and lower temperatures? I am planning a lager fermenting at 12 °C and thought of doing a sort of porter/dark beer from a Coopers Devils Half tin at the same time since I have the space in my fridge. Any advice welcome! 

Edited by der kleine Drache

5 hours ago, der kleine Drache said:

Anyone got experience with Nottingham and lower temperatures? I am planning a lager fermenting at 12 °C and thought of doing a sort of porter/dark beer from a Coopers Devils Half tin at the same time since I have the space in my fridge. Any advice welcome! 

It's a yeast I used often but only ever fermented at ale temperatures.  It's supposed to work down as low as 10ºC and I have read of others fermenting at low temps like that without issue.   I can say that I have had little problem with Winter time bottle carbonation with this yeast, where daytime temps can be in the low teens and over night temps are often single digit temperatures.  

While I'm sure it will do the job I am wondering why you're not simply using a lager strain?  🤔

• Like 2

I have never fermented Nottingham that low but as Blacksands noted, the website says it can ferment at that temp and other forums have posts about people having no issues with it at that low temp, but they do say to pitch extra yeast if you can, one guy used 18g.

If you only have the one packet, maybe do a shaken and not stirred starter and toss it in to help kick off fermentation. If you don't want to do that, just try the 1 pack and if it doesn't kick off right away keep it at ambient for 24 hours and then back into the fermentation chamber, the slow drop down to 12c shouldn't make then yeast sleep but it could make the fermentation last longer, while the ambient temp will allow fermentation to start.

One question, what temp is it where you are? You could ferment Nottingham ambient up to 24c, and I never noticed off esters.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, der kleine Drache said:

It's a hassle getting the yeast for me. I have 1 packet of Saflager + the Coopers tin yeast at home and a busy schedule. 

Is it a bad idea? 

Saflager?   I'm a little confused.  You mentioned Nottingham which is a Lallemand ale yeast but Saflager yeasts (S-23, W34/70 etc) are a series of lager strains from Fermentis.  So... which yeast do you have exactly?  🤔

19 hours ago, BlackSands said:

So... which yeast do you have exactly?  🤔

9 hours ago, Norris! said:

He is going to ferment a lager at 12c with the saflager and ferment a dark ale/porter also with the Nottingham in the same chamber.

Yep I've got 

1 Saflager S23

2 Nottingham 

and the Coopers yeasts from the Lager and Porter tins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

You should give it a go. You'll never look back!  😜

Although I  mostly use it for winter bottle carbonation because it works as low 15c in my experience. Otherwise for summer and generally I love US-05.

Now I'm mostly kegging so will be closely monitoring my kegs for taste of each.

Cheers