Coopers Community

lallemand nottingham dry yeast

EWildcat7

26 minutes ago, EWildcat7 said:

I can't say yet what the OG will be, but the volume will be 8.5 liters

The OG will begin high for a final ABV of 6.6%.

All dry yeast is better rehydrated. I sometimes get lazy and sprinkle but my beers are usually around 4-4.5% so I get away with it. Also I do it with more than 1 sachet, usually.

I think you will be ok with 11g of sprinkled Nottingham.

Cheers

Edited by Worthog

If you are up to it harvest that yeast when you are finished as it can be a hard yeast to get. I have tried several places in the Sunshine Coast north Brissy area and I have had no luck. If you don't know how to harvest it search the topics on the forum there are several threads on the topic. 

And, and an experiment by Khris Lloyd that did lab-based yeast cell counts:

"Non-hydrated, direct pitched wort did indeed have a higher death rate than both the hydrated samples.
However, the loss was minimal in comparison to other sources reporting cell loss rates upwards of 50%.
The loss is significant enough, particularly when scaling to commercial sized batches that the slightly
higher loss should be accounted for depending on your desired pitch rate. 
For typical five or ten gallon
batches, homebrewers should not have concerns, specifically pertaining to cell counts, as the difference
in loss between the two methods was only five percent.
"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzNmUGsHZf7dOTZzZF9aQVluZXM/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

If you are up to it harvest that yeast when you are finished as it can be a hard yeast to get. I have tried several places in the Sunshine Coast north Brissy area and I have had no luck. If you don't know how to harvest it search the topics on the forum there are several threads on the topic. 

I got this packet directly from Coopers as this was their Recipe of the Month and they included the yeast with it

I just finished making this brew and after i put it in my fermenting fridge, I realized I may have made a mistake.  I added all of the ingredients as the instructions said and topped it off with water until it reached 8.5 liters.  I then sprinkled on the yeast and felt good that I was done.  But I didn't give the entire thing a stir before adding the yeast and now it is too late.  Does anybody think this will be a problem?  Does adding the water agitate it enough?

Edited by EWildcat7

On 6/8/2019 at 4:49 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

This is where I get it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F112900441030

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I did the Bilby Chocolate Porter and bottled it just over five weeks ago.  My OG was 1.052, but I filled the fermenter up to 9L.  Ended up being 5% ABV in the bottle.

Early tastings were a bit on the bitter side.  I have got one in the fridge.  Might have to give it a taste tonight.

I harvested about 200ml of the yeast into a sanitised mason jar.  Have not reused it yet though.

11 hours ago, EWildcat7 said:

I just finished making this brew and after i put it in my fermenting fridge, I realized I may have made a mistake.  I added all of the ingredients as the instructions said and topped it off with water until it reached 8.5 liters.  I then sprinkled on the yeast and felt good that I was done.  But I didn't give the entire thing a stir before adding the yeast and now it is too late.  Does anybody think this will be a problem?  Does adding the water agitate it enough?

Once the yeast is cranking it will all get stirred up anyway like the ocean when the swell is cranking👍

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I did the Bilby Chocolate Porter and bottled it just over five weeks ago.  My OG was 1.052, but I filled the fermenter up to 9L.  Ended up being 5% ABV in the bottle.

Early tastings were a bit on the bitter side.  I have got one in the fridge.  Might have to give it a taste tonight.

I harvested about 200ml of the yeast into a sanitised mason jar.  Have not reused it yet though.

How long did you ferement and at what temperature?  I am not really worried about ABV - I figure that whatever it is is what it is.

Did you get a high krausen level?  I have the temperature controller set at 18.4 and it has been fermenting for almost 24 hours.  But I don't see anything on the surface other than some tiny bubbles.  I know that not all beers have high (or any) krausen, so I am just curious how yours looked.

I am excited about this one - it smelled really good while I was making it!

1 hour ago, EWildcat7 said:

How long did you ferement and at what temperature?  I am not really worried about ABV - I figure that whatever it is is what it is.

Did you get a high krausen level?  I have the temperature controller set at 18.4 and it has been fermenting for almost 24 hours.  But I don't see anything on the surface other than some tiny bubbles.  I know that not all beers have high (or any) krausen, so I am just curious how yours looked.

I am excited about this one - it smelled really good while I was making it!

Fermented for 13 days.  SG was stable after 11 days (1.052 - 1.017).  

Temperature controlled at 18°C.  I did not note it, but it has been my habit to raise the temperature to 20-22°C for the last couple of days, especially as this one finished a bit high.

I do not remember what sort of krausen I had with this one.  I brewed it in the large Coopers fermenter so did not have to worry about krausen volcano's.

Cheers Shamus

Keep the temp where it is, and have another look tonight, you'll most likely see a layer of foam on top of the brew by then. I have no idea how high it will be but I'm betting it'll be there. Stab in the dark maybe an inch or so, and it may or may not grow higher over the next couple of days. 

Also look for condensation on the inside of the lid.

3 hours ago, EWildcat7 said:

I know that not all beers have high (or any) krausen, so I am just curious how yours looked.

It is a bit early for the Krausen to be fully develop as it is at its peak during the most active stage of ferment, however in my experience all beers develop a krausen although some go gang busters, the vast majority of beers develop a 2-3 cm krause.  Dark beers and stouts can have them up to 10 cm thick. As I say that is in my experince. The AG brewers may have had different results.  

14 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I've had krausen form well before 24 hours and also well after (up to 50 hours with some lagers). There's no real standard with it, it varies from brew to brew. 

Good to hear it's visibly going now though. 

I normally get just under an inch with US05 with normal malt but when I make a hazy IPA with oats and flaked barley I get hardly any Krausen I had to check with my hydrometer to make sure it was fermenting which it was so I don’t know whether it’s the type of grain but it’s done it twice when I have made that one👍

Edited by RDT2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, different wort makeup does affect it as does the yeast strain. Dark beers I've had reach the lid and in one instance escape through the airlock when I used one. 

Yea, I have had that too, don't you hate it? Sold that particular fermenter it was too small just over 25L I think. I have a Coopers with collar, a 40l and a 60l. I use the 40 L now for all my dark beers and the problem is solved. 

• Like 1