Coopers Community

bulk priming question

worry wort

14 hours ago, Cosmo2450 said:

Bulk priming is something I want to explore. Well more or less natural condition a keg. I had thought of maybe keeping some unfermented wort to use as priming sugar. Anyone done anything like this?

The technique is called krausening.  You'd need to calculate the volume of wort needed to achieve the desired level of carbonation which can be done using an online calculators and I think you can expect to be adding a few litres of wort.    Seems more complicated than just using simple sugars in the form of carb drops or the usual approach to bulk priming etc.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for digging this one out again.

I thought using 180g of dextrose to bulk prime a 23l batch was a kind of common consensus but when using two different online calculators, the suggested amount is 105g and 115g respectively, both with the "desired CO2 volume" being 2.0. Is the latter the issue? The beer in question is my Kveik experiment, a high ABV dark beer.  

I don't want to create any bottle bombs but also nothing flat. I'm planning to bottle most of it into 500ml bottles (hence the bulk priming).

Which is the way to go?

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

..."desired CO2 volume" being 2.0.

I just noticed one of the calculators has CO2 levels by beer type in it and one category is home brew, which is apparently carbonated to between 2.9 and 3.1 CO2 volume. Using these numbers, I see results between 180 and 190g. 

Just now, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah, the CO2 volume is why it's suggesting a lower amount. It may suit the style or it may not. Personally I prefer it higher, not as high as my pales and lagers but higher than 2.

Thanks Otto, I've just figured out which level to use and got the result I thought I needed.