Coopers Community

My NEIPA #2

Time to have another bash at my Extract NEIPA,

The 1st one wasn't the best, bitterness was off so this is my current plan;

300g of light Chrystal steeped over night in 7trs, into a 30min boil with 0.9kg LME-Extra light.

Hop boil=

20 g Southern Cross   12.5% Boil 30 min 24.75IBU
25 g Galaxy   16.5% Boil 10 min 14.6IBU
25 g Citra   13.6 Boil 10 min 12IBU
15 g Southern Cross   12.5 Boil 0 min

FV additions= 2.5kg LME-Extra light + 200g Sugar      

Dry hop=

25g each, Galaxy, Citra, southerncross, 7 days Cold crashing.

Yeast = S-05

OG=1055      FG=1010    ABV=5,84%      IBU=59.61

Any thoughts on how that sounds? - Im interested in Otto's recent comment about ensuring enough IBU comes from early boil additions rather than late / flame out.

Edited by Mikes15

3 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

No software accounts for dry hop IBUs because there aren't any. 

I'm not entirely sure about the BU:GU ratio for the style but the idea is to have most of the IBUs late in the boil rather than early. 

Is NEIPA even a proper style recognised by the BCJP. I don’t think there is any official numbers in regards to this style  

I know most people use big flameout additions and dry hopping only. 

BB

NEIPA is a provisional BJCP style: http://dev.bjcp.org/beer-styles/21b-specialty-ipa-new-england-ipa/

I'm going to brew one shortly. MikeS, when I do I will be adding most if not all of my hops late. And in huge amounts, much higher than your recipe. Also will double dry hop. First one 48hrs after pitching yeast and again at the 7 day mark. The dry hops are expected to be big, around 240-300g when adding up both additions.

I will also be getting the right yeast: London ale 3 I think or the vermont ipa yeast. My all grain recipe will definitely have oats in it too, but you may not be able to do this if you aren't partial mashing.

• Like 1

Hi @Mikes15

Have a look at Gashslugs NEIPA on u-tube.  I did this one a few months ago and am drinking now.

120g Steeping hops between Topaz, Vic Secret and Amarillo

70g Day 4 dry hop similar split (removed at day 7)

60g Day 7 dry hop similar spilt

All in a 21L batch.

So, quite a bit more hops than your plan.  I used the Coopers APA as the base, so whatever hops it bought too.

I am thinking that you might need to up your ingredients.  I am NO expert.  But your brew might be more in the XPA or IPA range.  Not a bad beer by any means.  I think it will taste great, but maybe not exactly what you are hoping.

Cheers Shamus

• Like 1

From the BJCP guide for the style =

OG 1060-1085 VS IBU 25-60,

Seems odd, 25IBU is VERY low & the IBU are lower than the OG across the range (aside from 1060/60)?

Based on that would it be fair to say my boil is not far off, might make the FO 15G of each of the 4 hops for bout 20mins & maybe think about bumping up my DH amounts to around 40G each.

Edited by Mikes15
  • Like 1

The numbers only tell part of the story. Yours is close in numbers, but 60 IBUs from a 60 minute boil addition (if there was one) would taste a lot different to 60 IBUs from 10 minutes and under additions. 

If I was doing it I'd probably reduce that 30 minute addition to only provide about 10-12 IBUs and get the rest from big late and flameout additions. 

You'll get some IBUs from the flameout hops too even though the software you're using doesn't account for it. Wouldn't be a hell of a lot though especially if the boiled wort is cooled pretty quickly, so I wouldn't worry about it being too bitter or anything. 

I made an IPA a few years ago that ended up being a bit of a fruit bomb, it was about 63 IBUs with about half or more from late additions. OG was 1.056 (lower than I targeted). Definitely wasn't over bittered (if anything it was a bit on the sweet side), it needed more long boiled hops. NEIPA didn't really exist then and it wasn't what I was going for, but it would have worked reasonably well if it was.

My thoughts on a NEIPA is that your really just brewing a heavy hopped pale ale to around 25-30 IBUs, but maxing out the hop flavour wise, then absolutely maxing out the dry hop additions during the fermentation, then after the fermentation. Its a really loose style at the moment with a lot of breweries even putting NEIPAs out there that aren't even hazy.

If I was to make a neipa I would be putting about 400g in the dry hop. split in two, one 200g charge then another after fermentation. I would put a bittering charge of about 5-10 IBUs then the rest cube hopped of about 140g at 85c

The thought process behind this is that it needs to be "Juicy". Not phenolic, just juicy. Let the phenols calm before serving. Thats when you know you've put just enough into the dry hop apparently. ha ha h ah a