Coopers Community

Time effective bottle cleaning system

YeastyBoy

The ones of mine that were cloudy inside was from numerous batches going into them without being cleaned other than a hot water rinse after each use. When I soaked bottles in perc after each use right from the start, they didn't get this cloudy buildup inside them. 

Great thread and thanks for the contributions guys n gals.

I've recently taken to inspecting my bottles (all glass) very carefully.  My routine was to triple rinse each bottle in hot water after pouring a beer.

Well the hop haze and yeast/protein haze has definitely been an issue for some bottles!  Primarily the heaviliy hopped beers, but interestingly both saison yeast (Belle Saison) and a Kolsch yeast (WLP029) seem to really stick on the inside of the bottle.

Like Blacksands, I tried the percarbonate soak on the hazy bottles.  Sometimes it rinses completely clear, but others require elbow grease and a bottle brush.

My new routine is to pour beer, rinse out once to get the majority of the yeast cake from the bottom of the bottle.  Then 1/2 tsp of napisan and top up to soak overnight.

Next morning, double or triple rinse and inspect.  Most of the time the bottles are clean and clear.  If not, then a quick brush sorts them out.

Bleach is an option for these stubborn bottles.  May try this next time.  Thanks for all the advice!

51 minutes ago, joolbag said:

...Bleach is an option for these stubborn bottles.  May try this next time.  Thanks for all the advice!

100% effective! (no elbow grease, no brush, no "bristle effect")

Cheers

• Like 1