Coopers Community

Pellicle infection : Help brains trust

Marty_G

Ok this Battleship Bitter sure is throwing some curve balls ... as documented in another it had stalled so I pitched the kit yeast ... I have just read a couple of papers on Pellicle by microbiologists and the Saccharomyces cerevisiae has the  gene to express the Pellicle but may not express itself due to the sugar content of the wort ... well my wort had stalled but looks like it may have finished or has little sugar left and the pitched yeast has formed a Pellicle ... my question is should I immediately cold rash to stop the yeast from metabolising any more and stop it from making my beer too sour ... brains trust what is the best course of action now ...  do not fin, cold crash then bottle and avoid the Pellicle layer ... 

20190327_201312.jpg

9 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Whats the worst that can happen. It’s only beer.

the update is for those who may be interested is I took a SG this morning and it has been stable since Sunday, even after pitching the kit yeast on Wednesday ....  it is about 8 points higher than what the recipe predicted but will take a reading when i bottle and see what the FG is then....I skimmed as much as possible of the pellicle off this morning .... not an easy thing to do as it was a wafer thin biofilm but managed to get and vast majority off .... have added finings and started the cold crash which I will continue for the next 5-7 days . 

This has been an interesting exercise and learnt a load of stuff ... one thing that is a re-occuring theme in all of the reading I did on the infections last night is, while not optimal infections in the FV are not as big an issue as one may think  if caught early  ...  and the pellicle itself is not an infection it is a normal behaviour off some yeast however,  the Saccharomyces cervisiae strands that are used for home brewing have been selected because the gene which causes the pellicle, while present, is not usually expressed ...  I don't know about you but I find that really interesting ...  so my conclusion is when I added the kit yeast the low sugar and low CO2 conditions were optimal for the expression of the pellicle gene which requires oxygen at the brew atmosphere interface  ...  so the lesson i take out of this .... is if you think it is finished because of constant SG over several days  regardless of what the recipe says the FG should be, it is finished ... 

9 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Have never had one finish way higher than expected. 

No ....  and still not giving up on this as my FG will be taken when at bottling apart from re-suspending the yeast cake I am short of options ... I thought if there was sugar in the brew the kit yeast would have started but it did not ... do you have any ideas? 

Was the kit yeast rehydrated? The other point is that the original recipe uses Nottingham yeast which is why the predicted FG is lower. You'd still expect it to have dropped a bit more than it did though. 

Unless your hydrometer is inaccurate I'm not really sure what else you could do. 

50 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The other point is that the original recipe uses Nottingham yeast which is why the predicted FG is lower.

You have hit the nail on the head the attenuation of Nottingham is much higher, 81%, than the M15 75%, so the FG will be lower using Nottingham ...  that is where my inexperience came though ... really should have gone for another high attenuation yeast ...  oh well that is a lesson well learned ... have been messing around for 3 or 4 days longer than necessary ... so the M15 creates less alcohol and more esters, I assume  ...   I have learnt so much due to using this yeast so time well wasted I say ... 

I’ve thought of an app for brewers that aligns with infections. 

Kinda like the “what’s this weed/pest” app, where you send a photo into the app and they respond as to what it is and how to fix it.

Ima genius. 

Mind you, could you imagine all the yeast infection photos you wouldn’t want to see!

5 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Mind you, could you imagine all the yeast infection photos you wouldn’t want to see!

Price check aisle 3.....vagisil. I repeat Vagisil....Someone’s baking bread and it smells like sour dough...

Jim Carrey- me myself an Irene 

13 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

I’ve thought of an app for brewers that aligns with infections. 

Kinda like the “what’s this weed/pest” app, where you send a photo into the app and they respond as to what it is and how to fix it.

Ima genius. 

“Shut up and take my money”

Archived