Coopers Community

GW1953

GW1953

23 minutes ago, GW1953 said:

I’m two days into a Coopers Pale Ale and I have just had a check on my fav and taken a sample. Once foam had settled hydrometer read 1010. Seems awfully fast as  OG was 1042. Is this normal

Hi GW

This timing does seem very quick.  More experienced brewers will give more detailed and educated comment.  They will probably want to know the recipe details, what yeast did you use and what temperature did you brew at.

I did an English Bitter a while ago that went from 1035 to 1008 in three days.  I used US-05 for the yeast.  I had no temperature control, other than household evaporative airconditioning.  The brew was done in a cupboard in during a 40° heatwave in Melbourne (last summer) with inside ambient temperature of 25°.  This beer had a slightly excessive undesirable flavour of banana.  Most of my ale beers take about four* days for this scale of SG drop and do not have the same flavours, or at least much less noticeable.  I suspect you might have some similar flavours in this brew.

*Lately it is probably longer because I brew them temperature controlled at 18°.

4 hours ago, Popo said:

+1 to Shamus' questions regarding temp and recipe.

It does seem extremely quick. Have you taken more than one sample? Sometimes they lie.

I am doing a Coopers Pale ale from a can. Fv is at constant 22c 

I will take another sample in the morning and I did test the hydrometer in water

24 minutes ago, GW1953 said:

I am doing a Coopers Pale ale from a can. Fv is at constant 22c 

How you measuring that? Is it in temp control with probe in brew, taped to FV or ambient in fridge ... to me it can only be:  much warmer, a faulty reading or some really wild type of yeast ...  if it is ready it will have some very funky flavours ... 

Yes, the brew will be a few degrees warmer than ambient during active fermentation so it could have been up around 25-26 degrees inside the fermenter if the ambient was 22.

I wouldn't say it's normal for it to ferment that quickly, but it doesn't necessarily mean the beer will be bad either. Sometimes the yeast just go mental for some reason.  Taste your next sample and see if there's anything off about it. 

Just now, GW1953 said:

Fv is in a temp controlled fridge. Stick on thermometeron side of fv reads 22 

. Fridge temp Varys 2 c  but set on 22c

There's your issue. The ambient is too warm and the fermentation is even warmer. Also explains the funky taste.

When using a fridge to control fermentation temp you are better off taping the controller probe to the fermenter, insulated from the ambient under foam or the like, rather than just dangling it in the fridge (see picture). Then change the temp variance to 0.3 or 0.5 degrees. 

This will ensure the brew sits at the desired temperature all the time because the controller is measuring the brew temp rather than the ambient temp. 

20190312_113345.thumb.jpg.91b7180cfbaf4ec5bb23dcb83c2d34d4.jpg

Archived