Coopers Community

All Grain / BIAB

Jacob

Hi all,

After several extract beers I think I'm looking at getting into the real stuff. Don't get me wrong some extract/kit beers are nice but I feel like they're all very similar tasting and would like to be able to make my own beer from scratch.

So where I would like some help is whether to invest in something like a Robobrew or a full 3V setup OR a single vessel setup for BIAB.

Keep in mind I'm a battling uni student... Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Yes, urns are used for BIAB. That's what I started with and still using it now. They're a good quality unit, the only reason I'd change to 3V is if I wanted more stuff to clean... Nah it does have its advantages but not enough for me to switch. I'm happy with what I'm producing from BIAB.

BIAB is at a disadvantage if you are making high gravity beers, even with normal strength beers the efficiency can be a bit less than 3V but high efficiency doesn't necessarily mean the beer is better. It just means you use a little less grain to hit the same OG. Not a big deal to me personally.

Just to echo kelsey i little bit. A single vessel urn or robobrew will make you beers which just as good as a 3V system. I recommend it as a first step. Have used a robobrew for 2 and a bit years with great success. But. Im going to move eventually to a 3V for a few reasons. First being a bigger batch size. I can brew double or even triple in the same time. Second being able to sparge thoroughly will give you better efficency. Plus your urn or robobrew can be a vessel in that 3V system. My recommendation is go the urn first up. Learn all grain brewing. Then make up your mind whether you wat to go further.

I was watching some BIAB clips and thought all one needed as a heat source/vessel was a good old school 40 litre hot water urn ... can pick them up from around  $130 on Gumtree or less than $300 new .... 

That's all I use. One thing I'd suggest with an urn and BIAB is that a pulley system makes things a lot easier in terms of lifting the bag out. Used to be a right pain but with this setup it's really easy

20190114_123015.thumb.jpg.9f5d92c21f92694b0b7b178189dc07c6.jpg

I also have a stainless wire brush on a long handle for cleaning the element cover when required during the brew day and a false bottom so I can apply heat without lifting the bag. Neither of these are required items but they do make the brew day a bit easier.

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

One thing I'd suggest with an urn and BIAB is that a pulley system makes things a lot easier in terms of lifting the bag out

My physics is not great but I do know those gang pulleys sure do give you some great mechanical advantage .... that wet grain would be as light as a feather with that system ... 

26 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

My physics is not great but I do know those gang pulleys sure do give you some great mechanical advantage .... that wet grain would be as light as a feather with that system ... 

It does, it's like lifting nothing. Dad gave it to me a while back when I was still living there but the clearance above was too low where I brewed there. 

23 minutes ago, Titan said:

Kelsey how do you keep the mechanicals clean. I would suspect a build up of dust and crap up there that might be dropping into the wort?

I don't leave it up there, there are clasps on each end that both come apart so I just put it up at the start of the day and take it down at the end. I haven't noticed any crap in it. 

Crown is nice easy and cheap once you dial everything in. Can get away with gettin 23liters of quality 5%ish beer for under 40 bucks and thats buying grain from lhbs. Im lazy and havent setup a pulley system yet, but ikea sells a strainer that fits perfectly on the top of the urn to drain the bag. 

I make 25 litre batches in mine, although some have been up around 26. Probably could get more if using a chiller instead of cubes. The urns actually have a capacity of around 43 litres to the brim, which I worked out from the radius and height of the inner wall. Explains why I can start with 36/37 litres of strike water and not overflow it when the grain is added.

Archived